C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights won't raise or lower. No HL motor sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 01:22 PM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Headlights won't raise or lower. No HL motor sound

I was driving to work when I turned my headlights off at about 85mph. Neither light went down and I suspected that the gears may have stripped. But I don't hear the headlight motors running at all. I checked the fuses under the hood and they all look good. The lights raise and lower manually just fine. The lights will come on when I turn the switch on but there is no sound from the motors. Before I tear the headlight motors apart is there anything else I should check?

04 Z06 43K miles.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:02 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Measure the voltage at the headlights. Chances are the head light control module is bad.

Here is the wiring diagram:

Attachment 48019260
Thanks 8VETTE7. I noticed another issue Saturday night. I drove the car at night for the first time since the lights wouldn't raise. I opened them manually and turned them on. I had headlights but no taillights and no interior instrument lights or heater/radio control lights. Hud and the small LCD displays on heater and radio were the only displays lit. Brake light and reverse lights work, but no parking lights. When I got home and turned the lights off the interior gauge lights came on but still no taillights.

Do you think the control module could also cause these issues?

Quick Reply: Headlights won't raise or lower. No HL motor sound