C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slave cylinder brake fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 AM
02general
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Clutch slave cylinder brake fluid.

I replaced my slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder with an adjustable tick unit. Car drives and shifts good. No pedal sticking to the floor like it was previously doing.
So far I've put about 3500 miles on it. I check the clutch master reservoir about once a week. Thing is the fluid has a slight tint of dark in it already. Surprised me considering I haven't even gone 4000 miles yet.

I sucked it all out of the reservoir added fresh prestone dot4 brake fluid and bled all the nasty out, the tick speed bleeder makes this task easy but still thought the fluid should stay cleaner longer than it did. I do drive the car pretty hard at times, maybe that's what's causing it to get dirty so fast.

Last edited by 02general; 09-21-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:05 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Not sure if Vette is same, but on some cars, the rubber seals in the master or slave very quickly start to deteriorate, and turn the fluid dark in short order. This doesn't mean the rate of deterioration is fast--they can last for years--they just start deteriorating soon.

Quick Reply: Clutch slave cylinder brake fluid.