C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low oil pressure. check gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Oskardohc
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low oil pressure. check gauge

afternoon to all. 99 c5 base is starting to show low oil pressure. when first start it averages at 30 to 40 psi. pressure does go higher when rpms rise. after a while of driving, I noticed oil pressure go down to 10 or even lower. once it hits 0 the "check gauge" light comes on and all of a sudden pressure rises to 15 maybe 20 and the light goes back off. I heard a faulty oil pressure switch will show pressure if key is on the "on" position. any ideas? I have seen a couple of threads but nothing too similar to the problem I am having. car is completely stock. car does have a new oil pressure switch.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Most of the time the OPS reads excessively HIGH when it fails BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,, it can fail in other modes.

Replacing the OPS (Oil Pressure SENSOR) is the first place that I would recommend starting!

Its not just a two wire sensor (SWITCH) Its a 5 VDC Reference fed sensor with a Low Reff return an sensor output signal. All wires are PCM discrete wires.

BC
Old 10-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Oskardohc
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Most of the time the OPS reads excessively HIGH when it fails BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,, it can fail in other modes.

Replacing the OPS (Oil Pressure SENSOR) is the first place that I would recommend starting!

Its not just a two wire sensor (SWITCH) Its a 5 VDC Reference fed sensor with a Low Reff return an sensor output signal. All wires are PCM discrete wires.

BC
boy do I need to do some research. oil pressure sensor/switch same thing??

Get notified of new replies

To low oil pressure. check gauge

Quick Reply: low oil pressure. check gauge