C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the middle of a clutch job; have questions!

Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Default In the middle of a clutch job; have questions!

Part way into a clutch job, resulting from the car not wanting to go into gear (see thread here), got some questions.

First: gotta lot of crud on right side of trans/diff. Is this likely to be anything other than leaky butt (axle seal)? I'm planning to replace the axle seal on each side. Anything else I should replace?

Second: the spring on the new (Luk) release bearing is shorter than the spring on the original, by about 3/4" or so. Is this any concern, and should I just reuse the old spring with the new release bearing?

Will probably be asking more questions here as I progress with the job.
Attached Images       
Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I'd pressure wash or regular hose if that's all you have.
I'd also change the torque tube bearings (at least the front) since its all out.
I'd also add a remote slave bleeder to help with preventive maintenance.
I'd use the spring that came with the kit. New pilot bearing. Change trans/diff fluid.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:20 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Already pressure washed, right after taking those photos.
TT coupling is a good idea. Will check bearings too.
Already have a remote bleeder installed on the new slave.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:48 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Does that part plug into the hydraulic part of the throw out assembly? I would personally replace it all if that is how your part works.

There is a TSB out on replacing the seals on the differential, it includes using a special liquid sealer in addition to the o-rings.

Expect some noise on restart, rotating the flywheel as much as required to change the clutch bleeds down the lifters and they make a racket when the engine is restarted.

I would do the torque tube couplers and bearings as well. This is a known wear item and it would be a pain later if you have an issue.

Check condition of the differential soft mount while it is out. Also half shaft boots.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Does that part plug into the hydraulic part of the throw out assembly? I would personally replace it all if that is how your part works.
Not sure which "part" you're talking about. I'm just asking if the length of the spring is critical. From what I understand about the way the C5 slave works is, there's a rubber seal that slides within an inner aluminum tube and an outer aluminum tube. This seal rides against the base of the plastic tube of the release bearing. The fluid pushes this seal out, pressing the release bearing tube out, which pushes the release bearing against the pressure plate fingers. Is that the gist of it? What I don't quite get is the purpose of the spring. It would seem to me that the spring's purpose is to keep the release bearing pressed up against the clutch fingers.

Half shaft boots look OK; didn't notice anything amiss when dropping cradle.

Is this the TSB you refer to?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...lange-404.html

It talks about removing a cover and using sealant there; otherwise I'm not sure where you'd use sealant.

Get notified of new replies

To In the middle of a clutch job; have questions!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the middle of a clutch job; have questions!