C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 1288 Steering sensor circuit malfunction

Old 11-06-2016, 06:04 AM
jasonarty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 1288 Steering sensor circuit malfunction

Hello,
I recently bought a 2001 Corvette but the traction control light come in along with it saying Sevice handling soon. I took it to advance auto and the code is 1288 and Steering sensor circuit malfunction. Has anyone gotten this and how do I fix it? Is it expensive? I've read other posts that have that code along with others but that's the only code I've gotten. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonarty
Hello,
I recently bought a 2001 Corvette but the traction control light come in along with it saying Sevice handling soon. I took it to advance auto and the code is 1288 and Steering sensor circuit malfunction. Has anyone gotten this and how do I fix it? Is it expensive? I've read other posts that have that code along with others but that's the only code I've gotten. Any help would be appreciated.
I will let someone with more experience in that area responde to your question, but you don't need a code reader to retrieve the DTCs.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:13 AM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The C1288 code is for the SWPS (steering wheel positioning sensor). The part # is 88965543. Since your car is an '01 you still can buy it new. They cost about $70.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:40 AM
jasonarty
Intermediate

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not very mechanically gifted but is this a hard thing to change on my own? Is it expensive to have a dealer or shop replace it?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not very mechanically gifted but is this a hard thing to change on my own? Is it expensive to have a dealer or shop replace it?
Not exactly an easy job.

Information shown below taken from the repair procedure.

Steering Wheel Position Sensor or Steering Shaft Lower Bearing Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution

This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
Personal injury
Unnecessary SIR system repairs
In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:

Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
Disable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to Disabling the SIR System
Remove the steering column from the vehicle. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Remove the following from the steering shaft:
steering shaft seal (4)
sensor retainer (3)
steering wheel position sensor (2), refer to Steering Wheel Position Sensor Centering .
adapter and bearing assembly (1)

Installation Procedure

Install the following to the steering shaft:
adapter and bearing assembly (1)

Important

The steering shaft assembly must be rotated to the 12 o'clock position.

sensor assembly (2), refer to Steering Wheel Position Sensor Centering .
sensor retainer (3)
steering shaft seal (4)
Install the steering column to the vehicle. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Enable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-08-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:47 AM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree with 8vette7. When I had mine replaced I had a corvette mechanic friend of mine replace it. I just bought the beer and assisted. It is even harder to replace if you have the telescopic column.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
jasonarty
Intermediate

Thank you all for the input and the help. Just bought the car and it's annoying having the service handling light come on. Guess I'll have to take it to a shop so I don't screw anything up more.
The codes that were in the display were
P0332 Circuit low input bank 2
C1288
Bo-rfa had U1000 and U1064.

Last edited by jasonarty; 11-07-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:03 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 183 Posts

Thank you all for the input and the help. Just bought the car and it's annoying having the service handling light come on. Guess I'll have to take it to a shop so I don't screw anything up more.
C1288
The other code = DTC P0332 Knock Sensor (KS) 2 Circuit
Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

C1288
After the codes will be a C or H. C is a current code. H is for a code that has cleared but remains in history. You can clear the codes and see what comes back. If the P0332 doesn't clear you will need to get that checked out. Unfortunately that is not a simple repair either. Not as bad as replacing the SWPS but still not something your going to do in an hour or two. If the knock sensor needs to be replaced the intake manifold has to come off.

The U codes are probably nothing to worry about. If you clear them they probably won't come back.

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-08-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

The job isn't particularly difficult, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would put it at a 3 tops.

There's even a video on youtube about it that shows someone doing it, I would recommend watching that with a friend before deciding if you want to tackle it yourself or take it to a shop.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM
jasonarty
Intermediate

If I'm going to replace the right knock sensor should I just replace them both? Also it says low input so would it be a connection instead of the sensor itself? Anyone around Knoxville TN know a place that will do the work and not rip me off?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:26 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

If I'm going to replace the right knock sensor should I just replace them both? Also it says low input so would it be a connection instead of the sensor itself? Anyone around Knoxville TN know a place that will do the work and not rip me off?
The connector for the knock sensors is in the wiring harness that runs along the firewall behind the manifold. It is always a good idea to check the wiring before replacing parts.

If you do have the sensor replaced there is a service bulletin to RTV around the rubber seal to prevent water intrusion on the rear sensor.

If you don't get a response here regarding a good shop in your area, you should start a thread in your regional forum.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-discussion-9/
Attached Images

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-08-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Code 1288 Steering sensor circuit malfunction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code 1288 Steering sensor circuit malfunction