C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Yellow Top - Totally Disappointed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Optima Yellow Top - Totally Disappointed!!

I put in a new yellow top in Nov 2014. [$224.99] My car is usually trapped in the insulated garage for 2-3 months every winter (Idaho, it snowed yesterday, melted today) So I couldn't drive the car yesterday, but today was fine. Typical November usage for me.

Anyway, I didn't put on a battery maintainer right away...and in three weeks the battery discharged. No big deal right? It is supposed to be a Deep Cycle battery (like for trolling motors and the like). So, I charged it up and then hooked up the trickle charger.

So fast forward 24 months and the POS battery won't hold a full charge for a week!

My plan is to check for parasitic drain on the car, remove the battery and have it tested (it is still under the prorated warranty) at Autoland where I bought it. I'll let you know what happens.

ARGH!!

Old 11-29-2016, 04:57 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Sound's normal. I don't think most C5's can go three weeks without being driven or put on a battery tender. If it's in the garage for more that a few days without being driven, then plug it in. Probably not the battery's fault.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

mine will go down to about 11.7 in three weeks and will still start the car. (Delco)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pounder
mine will go down to about 11.7 in three weeks and will still start the car. (Delco)
It started the car this AM, but the HUD had reverted to the full-screen mode. Bench check was 12.3V when I removed the battery.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Typical Optima battery. I've never had one last more than 2 years. Stopped buying them a long time ago.

Question - Why put a deep cycle battery in a car?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I like the yellow tops, I put one on my car about 3 and a half years ago and it's still going strong... if you are leaving the car dormant for months at a time it's probably a better idea to just totally disconnect the battery from the car
Old 11-29-2016, 10:55 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KOZ
Typical Optima battery. I've never had one last more than 2 years. Stopped buying them a long time ago.

Question - Why put a deep cycle battery in a car?
'cause of the variable nature of my winter driving. I don't put the car to bed for the winter, I drive it when I can...but it does get snowed in for 2-3 weeks at a time.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:45 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Experiment by charging, then putting the battery on a shelf for 3 weeks, then testing?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Chrome61
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
I've let mine sit for 2 months and it will start, It's got a cheap autozombie battery in it that's 3 years old
Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

First off I think you bought the wrong yellowtop, this would have been a better choice.

The 120RC would have been a better choice over your 100RC.

If you don't want to invest in an Optima 1200 Digital charger you might want to try running a known good regular lead acid battery in series between a regular charger and the Optima. Regular chargers will put a charge on the Optima but usually will not hold and voltage drops off fast.

Their is some good info about how to help maintain the Optima battery and would probably dispel a lot of thinking that Optimas are not good batteries even if you have had a bad experience in the past. Should be able to google Optima Battery and locate info that might help in your situation.

I have a 6 year old Optima redtop that is still a good battery that I just took out of my FRC and put in my Impala which sits a lot too but maybe doesn't have as much constant draw as the Corvette. It is a 100 RC rated battery just fyi.
The following users liked this post:
jcgunn (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:02 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Parasitic drain seems to vary. I can leave mine 4 weeks or so and it starts right up - problem is that's with the Sears Platinum (8 years old) which is now no longer available, tho' the Odyssey battery is the same beast. Never had a charger on it, except when it was left about 6-7 weeks one time - hooked up the charger and after a few minutes switched it to boost charge and hit the starter. Up and running.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcgunn
I put in a new yellow top in Nov 2014. [$224.99] My car is usually trapped in the insulated garage for 2-3 months every winter (Idaho, it snowed yesterday, melted today) So I couldn't drive the car yesterday, but today was fine. Typical November usage for me.

Anyway, I didn't put on a battery maintainer right away...and in three weeks the battery discharged. No big deal right? It is supposed to be a Deep Cycle battery (like for trolling motors and the like). So, I charged it up and then hooked up the trickle charger.

So fast forward 24 months and the POS battery won't hold a full charge for a week!

My plan is to check for parasitic drain on the car, remove the battery and have it tested (it is still under the prorated warranty) at Autoland where I bought it. I'll let you know what happens.

ARGH!!

Update: Battery checked out good. I checked the current drain and it was 43mA for a minute and dropped to 15mA. I guess I'll just put the charger on more often.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrowne
Sound's normal. I don't think most C5's can go three weeks without being driven or put on a battery tender. If it's in the garage for more that a few days without being driven, then plug it in. Probably not the battery's fault.
Yes from what I've been reading I don't think it matters much what battery you use, it's just a big drain sitting there, mine went in about 2 weeks with a new Interstate. I've wondered what it is in these cars that drains it so fast, factory security system maby? My 2014 Sonata has one but I've never let it sit more than a week, maby most new cars are this way and we just notice it more on cars like this we don't drive much. That's why I just got one of these new Lithium jumper boxes, might get one for the Sonata too.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Yellow Top - Totally Disappointed!!

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow Top - Totally Disappointed!!