C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Investigating Sloppiness of the C5 Shifter/Linkage/Trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:49 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms
Great write up. I like what you did with the u joint, I'd imagine it's leaps and bounds better. I thought about making this universal available for sale but you would have to drop the gearbox to replace it. I'm contemplating a whole replacement shaft but I don't know if there would be enough market for it to make it worth doing.
This is the universal I got for the project, samo samo.

great posts, thanks for the great pics !

This looks to be closer in size to the stock piece.

What was the core issue with the sloppiness? Was it the shifter rod?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Stehen
What a creative idea, this will be helpful to many! I have one question on the universal joint, where it attaches on the shifter linkage coming out of the transmission, Did you weld the universal joint directly to the shifter linkage or did you use some sort of a set screw pin through a collar that’s welded on to the universal joint? In the one picture it looks like a set screw in a collar, slid over the shifter linkage coming from the transmission.
I assume the set screws are there so that it can be used on a variety of universal applications. I welded it solid so that there was no chance of any screws ever coming loose.

Originally Posted by billy mild
This looks to be closer in size to the stock piece.

What was the core issue with the sloppiness? Was it the shifter rod?
There is inherent slop built into the centering spring inside the T56. I replaced the spring, which helped, but it's still not as precise as some Honda and BMW boxes I've enjoyed (and probably never will be as good)

Quick Reply: DIY: Investigating Sloppiness of the C5 Shifter/Linkage/Trans