C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does changing the trans fluid make a difference in a manual? a few other questions to

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 AM
delta_bratwurst
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does changing the trans fluid make a difference in a manual? a few other questions to

I have a 2001 Z06. 60k miles on it. I'm trying to improve overall shifting performance

I just performed a shifter plate adjust and the shifting has improved slightly but is still very notchy.

Will changing the transmission fluid improve the speed of the synchronization between shifts? I know that the T-56 in C5s are labeled as not ever needing a fluid change.

Also sometimes when shifting I have hit the gate between 1st and 3rd gears. I have also noticed that in gear my shifter wiggles about half and inch from side to side. Is this normal? Will buying an aftermarket shifter improve this?

If anyone can give me some advice I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Has the fluid ever been changed? I noticed an improvement in shifting smoothness when I changed my fluid to Redline Synthetic ATF. You definitely don't want to leave the stock stuff in there forever.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Changing the ATF fluid in my 98 (40,000) made a significant difference in shift quality and solved a minor 4th gear synchro issue.

Changing the ATF fluid in my 02 ZO6 at 27,000 miles, made a slight difference but it was noticeable and welcomed.

Examine the shifter shaft where it exits the rear of the lower box. Wiggle the shifter and see if the shift shaft has excessive SLOP/LOST MOTION between the shaft and lower box rear bushing when you apply shifting forces to the shift handle. Its a very common problem. You should NOT have any excessive slop or lost motion at that bushing.

I STRONGLY recommend a new aftermarket shifter and lower box. MGW makes a REALLY NICE replacement lower box and shifter.

I myself installed a KIRBAN Shifter and couldn't be happier!

Most aftermarket shifters have additional shift handle centering springs inside the shifter body. Your stock shift handle DOES NOT. ALL the shift gates are accomplished inside the transmission!

If you don't like the shift quality, I highly recommend starting with a quality aftermarket shifter and lower box.

BC
Old 02-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HERE is a post that is made JUST FOR YOU!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...age-trans.html
The following users liked this post:
delta_bratwurst (02-09-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:52 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Getting that water-thin dex III out and refilling with Penzoil Synchromesh made a world of difference for me. My shifting became noticeably smoother and less notchy. I also used to get an occasional grind into 4th which went away. I can definitely tell this fluid is more viscous especially when the transmission is still cold, but once things are up to temp I dont think it significantly affected my ability to shift quickly.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 PM
cbell3186
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Changing the fluid helped. One and while you're at it, do the "antivenom" mod. Super simple and costs a buck. Made mine shift for the better.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 AM
delta_bratwurst
Instructor

Sorry I've been away for a day and just came back to this thread. Thanks for all the good answers guys. I should be getting my tax return soon and I'll put some money into a new shifter.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:15 AM
delta_bratwurst
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbell3186
Changing the fluid helped. One and while you're at it, do the "antivenom" mod. Super simple and costs a buck. Made mine shift for the better.
Whats the antivenom mod do?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:24 AM
delta_bratwurst
Instructor

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Has the fluid ever been changed? I noticed an improvement in shifting smoothness when I changed my fluid to Redline Synthetic ATF. You definitely don't want to leave the stock stuff in there forever.
As far as I know the fluid has never been changed. The car is at 60,000 miles. At the very least I will do a fluid change. It doesent seem to be terribly difficult by the looks of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Does changing the trans fluid make a difference in a manual? a few other questions to

Quick Reply: Does changing the trans fluid make a difference in a manual? a few other questions to