C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change fairy glitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:25 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Oil change fairy glitter

Changed my oil yesterday, oil came out looking good, not glittery or anything. I took out the oil filter and started draining it when at the very bottom of the pour, possibly the last tiny bit of oil to come out was very shiny and filled with silver particles, about a tablespoon a tablespoon of dust mixed with tje oil. There was 2 tiny metal flakes in the oil drain pan. I never saw that before, I usually see all the oil glittery or lots of metal flakes and no glitter. Of course it has me a little concerned but then again maybe the filter was doing its job. My oil pressure is normal, 50 cold and 23 at 200 degrees. Oil pressure rises with rpm as it should. Should I wait for the next change and see if its the same?

Last edited by midnight01; 02-26-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

If you have the old filter, cut it open and take a look. On your next oil change you can take a sample and have it burnt (analyzed). Costs about $26 from Blackstone Labs.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
If you have the old filter, cut it open and take a look. On your next oil change you can take a sample and have it burnt (analyzed). Costs about $26 from Blackstone Labs.
think NAPA does it for free ??
Old 02-26-2017, 04:11 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
think NAPA does it for free ??
I just opened it up, nothing in the filter at all. the oil remaining at the bottom was shiny but with smaller then pin sized glitter, not making any sense as I would have thought to see metal chunks to go with the shine but apparently not. I also use an K&N pain in the royal *** to get open oil filter.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil change fairy glitter

Quick Reply: Oil change fairy glitter