C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side headlight jammed closed on C5z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side headlight jammed closed on C5z06

I have this issue where if I turn on the lights, the driver side headlight wont open. In order for me to open it I need to twist the manual open **** on the back of the motor a bit and then it will open with the switch. Its as if the motor was jammed up and by twisting it manually it un-jammed. I can even see it become slightly loose and have some play in it. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Worn or missing bump stops allow the motor to close the headlight so tight that the open cannot overcome the bind. Check the bump stops. There are two for open and two for close on each side of the car:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght-shake.html

The two stops in the first picture are the "close" bump stops and the two in the second are the "open" bump stops.

If you need replacements the only place you will get them is from Rodney Dickman as GM no longer sells them:

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=309
Thanks for the quick reply! Do i need to take out the headlight assembly to get to the close bump stops or is there a way to access those from underneath the car through the bottom panel infront of the wheel well?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:06 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

here is two photoes showing the endstop on headlight motor assy ( one missing on photo) and the other two located on headlight support with the headlight in closed position .

Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I had the same thing happening to my 01. turned out to be a stripped plastic gear in the headlights. did them a year apart.
I purchased a gear kit from Ebay, and it takes about an hour and a half per headlight
after the fix, they work great.
The bump stops are good to check every once in a while to make sure they are still there.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have had the same problem with my headlights. First, a few years ago I replaced my gear on the left side h/l. Eventually I still had a problem with the correct operation. You can remove the stops and turn them over, which will work for a while. Eventually you will be going to Rodney Dickman's site and buying new stops because both sides will now be worn. So at this point I have replaced all the wear parts of the headlight mechanism and it is working okay. Once in awhile I have to untighten the motor with the **** on the back of it. Now here's the weird part. I bought my car new in 2003. All problems and repairs have only been done to the left side headlight. The right side headlight is completely original and has never given me any problems and it now has 155,000 miles

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Side headlight jammed closed on C5z06

Quick Reply: Driver Side headlight jammed closed on C5z06