C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$161 Radiator Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:25 PM
marc a
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
The female end of that fitting does not look like a flare fitting to me. It looks flat on the bottom and the threads seem too fine.
Poor picture angle. It is a "bulb" to accept a flare.
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by marc a
Poor picture angle. It is a "bulb" to accept a flare.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:39 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Are you sure? The female end of that fitting looks a lot like the quick disconnect female. I measured the hole of a old late model rad with a caliper and it is about .640".
Rob,
By "old late model" what year do you think the rad was? 97-01 or 02-04

If we knew the thread size and pitch of the OEM rad female ports on the rad then putting together an adapter to fit the new aluminum rad to our 02-04 QD fitting would be much easier.

Jim
Old 11-04-2017, 10:54 PM
Booger789
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 11-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Rob,
By "old late model" what year do you think the rad was? 97-01 or 02-04

If we knew the thread size and pitch of the OEM rad female ports on the rad then putting together an adapter to fit the new aluminum rad to our 02-04 QD fitting would be much easier.

Jim
I had the wrong radiator 1.5 yrs ago went through the same thing. I couldn't find adapters. I ended up selling it and buying the correct one.

I remember reading some older threads about this. Maybe someone will chime in.
jrprich (11-05-2017)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 PM
marc a
Racer

Default Update

Core failed a couple of weeks ago . . . it was good while it lasted
The following 2 users liked this post by marc a:
ArmchairArchitect (07-22-2018), theandrewo (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. We all try to avoid the "Corvette Tax" when possible, but the horror stories I've read about cheap aluminum radiators from Ebay via China usually does not end well. My recommendation is a DeWitt's radiator. Made in the USA, quality is second to none. Pricey? Yes, But worth it. JMHO
marc a (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 PM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that, even more so considering I have a similar unit in the garage ready for install. Any reason for the failure or did it just let go?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

We here this story often but seldom does anyone actually post the follow up as you did here. My hats off to you

All aluminum radiators begin with an aluminum "core", regardless of the brand or origin. The core is the most important part of any radiator because the quality of the radiator is dictated by the braze quality of the core section. The tubes must be bonded completely to the fin or heat transfer will suffer. All the tubes must be thoroughly brazed into the header plates or leaks will develop over time.

DeWitts Radiator is the only aftermarket radiator company that owns and operates an aluminum Nocolok brazing furnace. This allows us to build our own brazed aluminum radiator cores in house, so we control the quality of those cores. We know exactly what materials are being used and the brazing profiles. We do not purchase cores from others and assume they are quality parts.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-20-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 AM
marc a
Racer

Originally Posted by Echo97vette
Sorry to hear that, even more so considering I have a similar unit in the garage ready for install. Any reason for the failure or did it just let go?
The only possibility is that I HAD urethane motor mounts that resulted in vibration over and above what is normal. Aluminum radiators are more sensitive to vibrations than others, especially cheap aluminum radiators.

I replaced the urethane motor mounts with the standard version and everything is nice and smooth again.

Marc
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM
marc a
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
We here this story often but seldom does anyone actually post the follow up as you did here. My hats off to you

All aluminum radiators begin with an aluminum "core", regardless of the brand or origin. The core is the most important part of any radiator because the quality of the radiator is dictated by the braze quality of the core section. The tubes must be bonded completely to the fin or heat transfer will suffer. All the tubes must be thoroughly brazed into the header plates or leaks will develop over time.

DeWitts Radiator is the only aftermarket radiator company that owns and operates an aluminum Nocolok brazing furnace. This allows us to build our own brazed aluminum radiator cores in house, so we control the quality of those cores. We know exactly what materials are being used and the brazing profiles. We do not purchase cores from others and assume they are quality parts.

Tom,

You are exactly right. In fact I was fortunate enough to find a used Dewitt radiator for just a little bit more than the one that failed, had it pressure tested and cleaned. It is now right where it belongs keeping an old LS1 nice and cool.

Marc
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Tom,

You are exactly right. In fact I was fortunate enough to find a used Dewitt radiator for just a little bit more than the one that failed, had it pressure tested and cleaned. It is now right where it belongs keeping an old LS1 nice and cool.

Marc
Thanks for following up with the info!
Old 07-21-2018, 02:24 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi Marc, (I'm also Marc )
When you say "core failed" could you elaborate? What exactly failed and do you know why? Pics of failure?

Last edited by mcm95403; 07-21-2018 at 02:24 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 AM
marc a
Racer

Sorry, no pictures. The leak developed on the engine side along the seam between the top tank and core.

Marc
The following 2 users liked this post by marc a:
ArmchairArchitect (07-22-2018), mcm95403 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Hi Marc, (I'm also Marc )
When you say "core failed" could you elaborate? What exactly failed and do you know why? Pics of failure?
In most cases a leak will develop where the tubes go into the header slots. Here is a what the header looks like all by itsself

During the core assembly process the tubes are inserted into the header slots. Both the tubes and header are made from a special cladded aluminum. The outer skin of these parts has a lower melting alloy than the inside base material and that cladding acts like a solder, melding and creating a fillet weld. Powder flux is applied to remove the oxide layer and promote good clad flow. Over fluxing can cause an excessive build up around the tube and instead of the tube brazing in, the tube is held in with melted flux. This joint can hold pressure but after several hot/cold cycles the flux breaks loose and the tube leaks. This is the most common source of core failure when the tubes leak at the header joint. Since this braze joint is so critical, DeWitts uses double side cladded header material so the tubes are welded in on both sides. The other companies don't do that and you would never know looking at it.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-21-2018 at 10:45 AM.
mcm95403 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The only possibility is that I HAD urethane motor mounts that resulted in vibration over and above what is normal. Aluminum radiators are more sensitive to vibrations than others, especially cheap aluminum radiators.

I replaced the urethane motor mounts with the standard version and everything is nice and smooth again.

Marc
Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
In most cases a leak will develop where the tubes go into the header slots. Here is a what the header looks like all by itsself

During the core assembly process the tubes are inserted into the header slots. Both the tubes and header are made from a special cladded aluminum. The outer skin of these parts has a lower melting alloy than the inside base material and that cladding acts like a solder, melding and creating a fillet weld. Powder flux is applied to remove the oxide layer and promote good clad flow. Over fluxing can cause an excessive build up around the tube and instead of the tube brazing in, the tube is held in with melted flux. This joint can hold pressure but after several hot/cold cycles the flux breaks loose and the tube leaks. This is the most common source of core failure when the tubes leak at the header joint. Since this braze joint is so critical, DeWitts uses double side cladded header material so the tubes are welded in on both sides. The other companies don't do that and you would never know looking at it.
Marc: As others have said, thank you for your updates.

Tom: Marc mentioned the possibility of urethane motor mounts causing more vibration that may have affected the radiator he had. Is that an issue with all radiators or only those that may not have been welded correctly or took short cuts in assembly?

Thanks, Larry
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 PM
marc a
Racer

Larry,

Most of my experience with radiators that are 100% aluminum is with track/race cars. In those applications it is absolutely imperative to have no metal to metal contact between radiator and mounting points, and insulators should be at least (in my opinion) 3/4" of good old fashion rubber.

I had a Griffin unit in my 944 Turbo/LS1 track car with solid motor mounts front and rear. 1" of rubber between the radiator and mounting points and I did not have any issues for the 6 years that I had the car.

I thought that the stock C5 insulators would be sufficient, and maybe I was wrong, or maybe the radiator was just not built to take any more vibration than from stock motor mounts.

Marc
ArmchairArchitect (07-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To $161 Radiator Installed

Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks, Marc!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:28 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Anyone else have long-term experience (2 years+) with the generic aluminum radiators on ebay?

Latest crop: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 04-04-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Anyone else have long-term experience (2 years+) with the generic aluminum radiators on ebay?

Latest crop: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0
Nope but i tried the $57 radiator that did not fit due to mounting tabs. However i did buy the ecp radiator for $290 shipped and no issues. Yet.... Lol

Quick Reply: $161 Radiator Installed