C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping rear cradle - hard brake line question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Dropping rear cradle - hard brake line question

I've read a couple different procedures for dropping the rear cradle. My questions is specifically about the hard brake lines.

One procedure made it appear that if I pull the cv half shafts, the hard lines can stay in the car? Is that correct? Are the hard lines attached to the cradle anywhere?

http://redshift.homestead.com/files/...ch_install.pdf

Otherwise, for the hard lines to come down with the rear cradle, there appears to be a disconnect up above the trans/diff? Is that something you can access if you lower the cradle a small amount?

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...-installation/

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

if your abs module is up front, the hard lines stay, they are clipped to the cradle just pop them out. Make sure you dont snag they while lowering the cradle If you have a older one with the abs module in the back I'm not sure.

Last edited by feeder82; 05-15-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:22 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

I left the hard lines. I assume you're dropping the transaxle too...The way I did it was to support the transaxle ahead of the cradle with one jack, and lowered the cradle with a trans jack. Then used that trans jack to let the transaxle down until I could wiggle it off the engine bellhousing. This required a bit of wrestling with the hard lines to clear the diff but it was nothing serious. When I put the car back together, it was no problem to get the lines back where they belonged and I even managed to clip them back to the cradle with the factory clips.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

I disconnected mine above the transmission after lowering the rear cradle and took everything from the engine back out as a unit in order to replace the rear engine cover. It is tight but can be done and isn't that hard. Don't forget to bleed the brakes after you get everything back together.

Good Luck
Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I just had my cradle down and installed it not an hour ago.
Pull the axles out of the differential.
Hard lines are held to cradle by plastic clips, just lift them a bit and pop the lines out.
Installation is the reverse.
Easy Peasy.
The following users liked this post:
nsogiba (05-18-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM
kalayaan12
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtGle
I just had my cradle down and installed it not an hour ago.
Pull the axles out of the differential.
Hard lines are held to cradle by plastic clips, just lift them a bit and pop the lines out.
Installation is the reverse.
Easy Peasy.
I had the same experience - you just need to go SLOWLY when you lower the rear cradle down and make sure you have pushed all of the plastic brake line clips out first (or have popped the brake lines out of the clips themselves).

Spray the "pointy end" of the clips with silicone spray first, it helps make getting them pushed out a bit easier...

And again, go SLOWLY and keep checking to make sure the lines don't get snagged and bent all to heck. Just from bad personal experience!

Jeff

Last edited by kalayaan12; 05-15-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping rear cradle - hard brake line question

Quick Reply: Dropping rear cradle - hard brake line question