C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Vehicle Soon light stays on

Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 PM
scotchrocks
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Vehicle Soon light stays on

Thought I'd start a new thread about this, I brought it up in my airbag warning light thread, but it is a separate problem.

This is an issue I've had for the entire time I've owned this wonderful machine, (Purchased 9 years ago, mileage then 14.000, now 82,000), the "Service Vehicle Soon" light comes on every time I start the car.

Chevy dealership told me replacement part no longer available, they warned against any aftermarket products. I know about re-setting after oil changes, but is there any other potential solution?

I ran across this potential fix in an old thread on another site, what do you think about this??

I quote...

"I want to relate a situation I had with my '98 coupe, concerning a Service Vehicle Soon warning and DTC C1281... in case someone else has a similar problem, some day. A couple of weeks ago, the warning appeared in the DIC; checking the codes (thanks to the sticky here on how to do that), I found just the one code... with an 'H' suffix. The code was cleared, but the message and code would return whenever I drove the car. I don't own a scan tool, so I'm limited to the things I can check visually/manually. Checking/jiggling the wiring connection to the steering position sensor, didn't help. On a whim, I tried tilting the steering wheel to the extreme 'down' position and turning the wheel from lock to lock, several times. No warning or code appeared. I've gone through several ignition cycles, with the wheel tilted to every position -- the problem has not reappeared.

While I'm glad that the problem seems to be resolved (for now, at least), I'm curious as to why my solution would have fixed the problem. Anyone have any thoughts on that?"

End Quote

I have tried this fix several times, with the tilt in different positions, no success.

My codes are C1281H and C1288H.

Any other potential solutions? Or was the dealer correct, it's not fixable?

Last edited by scotchrocks; 05-18-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Both of those codes are for the SWPS (steering wheel positioning sensor). If your car is a 2000 or earlier, you are sol on finding a new one. They are still available for the 01 and newer. The part number is 88965543 and they cost about $70. The earlier ones are available used but are getting expensive and hard to find.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 PM
scotchrocks
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found a used one for $250. How difficult to replace??
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

There is instructions here on the forum on how to replace it. Do a search to find them. Will take to long to type out. Normally will take about 2.5 to 3 hours to do. Good luck. Did mine a few years ago and has been trouble free since. If you have the power telescopic column it will be harder.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Vehicle Soon light stays on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Vehicle Soon light stays on