C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I line up harmonic balancer manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Trackvettec5
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I line up harmonic balancer manual trans

So I decided to do my own replacement save 1,000 for some reason my Corvette has alot kids and has a rubber pulley on harmonic balancer that went bad. I am replacing myself it has a manual transmission . I didn't take old one off yet but new one has a bunch of holes how do I line it up and install it right way?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What replacement dampener are you installing????

OEM or AFTERMARKET??

If you purchased an OEM replacement, the new one is neutral balanced and it wont matter.

That being said, the OEM Installed one was OFF SET BALANCED at the factory. The ONLY way that you will be able to duplicate the balance is to take the OLD ONE to the machine shop and have the new one off set balanced to the old one. HOWEVER, If the old one is trashed, that wont be possible.

When I replaced mine, I used a Powerbond/DAYCO and just installed it.

NOTE, You MUST install a new Torque to yield bolt and torque it as per the service manual. I used a ARP Damper bolt. Its not TTY and reusable.

I also used a heat gun and heated up the dampener HUB to approx. 200 deg and that makes install and remove TONS easier and the dampener is a T I G H T interference fit!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Trackvettec5
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
What replacement dampener are you installing????

OEM or AFTERMARKET??

If you purchased an OEM replacement, the new one is neutral balanced and it wont matter.

That being said, the OEM Installed one was OFF SET BALANCED at the factory. The ONLY way that you will be able to duplicate the balance is to take the OLD ONE to the machine shop and have the new one off set balanced to the old one. HOWEVER, If the old one is trashed, that wont be possible.

When I replaced mine, I used a Powerbond/DAYCO and just installed it.

NOTE, You MUST install a new Torque to yield bolt and torque it as per the service manual. I used a ARP Damper bolt. Its not TTY and reusable.

I also used a heat gun and heated up the dampener HUB to approx. 200 deg and that makes install and remove TONS easier and the dampener is a T I G H T interference fit!!!
Yes I'm using a oem from summit racing. In there directions says nothing about lining up for balancing. But in my service manual it does. Currently there is a aftermarket dampner on the car so I dunonif that one is even balanced so I have nothing go by.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I've installed quite a few of them from different brands and never had to balance them or mark the orientation, just install it and go
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Trackvettec5
5th Gear

Originally Posted by neutron82
I've installed quite a few of them from different brands and never had to balance them or mark the orientation, just install it and go
Manual transmission are suppose be balanced
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

my car is a 6 speed and I've had 2 different balancers on it besides the one it came with from the factory, I didn't balance either of them and haven't had any imbalance issues... I believe Bill's car is also a 6 speed and he said he just installed his as well... I guess you can have it balanced if you want but I really don't think it is necessary in my opinion
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Trackvettec5
5th Gear

Originally Posted by neutron82
my car is a 6 speed and I've had 2 different balancers on it besides the one it came with from the factory, I didn't balance either of them and haven't had any imbalance issues... I believe Bill's car is also a 6 speed and he said he just installed his as well... I guess you can have it balanced if you want but I really don't think it is necessary in my opinion
Ok great thanks thought I might throw engine off motors suppose be balanced I work with HVAC deal with electric motors I assumed has be related.

Any idea what I can get for a 1997 corvette c5
Lots of mods
Spec 3 clutch
H something shirt shifter
Aftermarket red or suspension
Borla x pipe exhaust just installed
Sway bars
Racing seats costed 4500
Sundown audio competition sound system
Pioneer video dash
And it's been tunned plus pair slicks
Varam air intake too

Any idea why old balancer has rubber on pulley I stead of metal?

Last edited by Trackvettec5; 05-19-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It’s a HARMONIC DAMPENER. The isomeric rubber strip separates the inner hub from the outer ring. The rubber strip between the two parts allows the outer ring to absorb crank shaft vibrations.

All dampeners have something that allows them to suck up the crank vibrations. Be it rubber, fluid or counter weights, something in the dampener is used to counted act the engine crank shaft harmonic vibrations.

The rubber is bonded to the metal parts and when the rubber becomes unbonded, THATS,, where the issues start.

IMHO, Im pretty sure that all aftermarket dampeners are zero balanced from the dampener factory. SO,, just install it and enjoy.

GM puts all MANUAL Transmission cars through an additional hot balance procedure and the dampener & clutch flywheel/pressure plate are drilled or weight pins are installed into the outer ring of the part to get the internal balance with in a very small tolerance.

The dampener is much smaller than the clutch and has much less effect on felt vibrations.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-20-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I line up harmonic balancer manual trans

Quick Reply: How do I line up harmonic balancer manual trans