C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 c5 wont do a burnout or footbrake

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 PM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 c5 wont do a burnout or footbrake

Long story short got a 1998 vette made a little over 500 rwhp and 600torque decent combo but tried to do a burnout with it the other day and it sounds like a 4cylinder when u do almost like its cutting cylinders... or if you try to foot brake the car it sputters bad almost like a soft limiter then 10ft out is fine and lites the tires up. But if u come to a stop let off the brake normaly and stab it it will blow the tires off... i just came back from the tuner today and he turned everything off that needs to be off or maxed out whatever to try diffrent stuff nothing worked and fyi the ebcm in the car is shot even the pigtail is fked up i also pulled all the fuses assosiated with abs with no luck anyone have any ideas????
Old 05-21-2017, 02:25 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by blue07ss
Long story short got a 1998 vette made a little over 500 rwhp and 600torque decent combo but tried to do a burnout with it the other day and it sounds like a 4cylinder when u do almost like its cutting cylinders... or if you try to foot brake the car it sputters bad almost like a soft limiter then 10ft out is fine and lites the tires up. But if u come to a stop let off the brake normaly and stab it it will blow the tires off... i just came back from the tuner today and he turned everything off that needs to be off or maxed out whatever to try diffrent stuff nothing worked and fyi the ebcm in the car is shot even the pigtail is fked up i also pulled all the fuses assosiated with abs with no luck anyone have any ideas????
Is the traction control turned off?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 AM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
Is the traction control turned off?
if u mean off the button it didnt make a diffrence the traction light is always lit up along with abs and a message for service ride control the botton is not even in the car anymore it is now the n2o purge. and the tuner went threw and turned a bunch of stuff off/maxed out and tried diffrent stuff yesterday and nothing made a diffrence.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

That's a weirdness with the C5.
Try easing off the brake pedal just a tad, it will knock off that behavior and do a proper burnout.

Or, add a line lock.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
That's a weirdness with the C5.
Try easing off the brake pedal just a tad, it will knock off that behavior and do a proper burnout.

Or, add a line lock.

yea ive tried easing off the brake no luck just sucks wanna take the car to the track but cant do a dam burnout lol I might give the line lock a shot if nothing else can be done figured the tuner woulda been able to get it but even hes stumped
Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

I'm a tuner. Tried all that stuff too.
It's something in the ABS that doesn't turn off even when you turn it off.
It knows you have the brakes on, so it just sits there and moans.......
I've got prob 300 passes on mine.

Anyway, I have to stall it up, quickly release then apply the brakes to get it to do a burn out. This is in the water at the track btw.....not on dry pavement.

I almost wonder if putting a switch in the brake light circuit might fool it.

Anyway, Line lock works, it's proven. I'm going to add mine this year.
And saves the rear rotors and pads.......

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 05-23-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 AM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

I'm a tuner. Tried all that stuff too.
It's something in the ABS that doesn't turn off even when you turn it off.
It knows you have the brakes on, so it just sits there and moans.......
I've got prob 300 passes on mine.

Anyway, I have to stall it up, quickly release then apply the brakes to get it to do a burn out. This is in the water at the track btw.....not on dry pavement.

I almost wonder if putting a switch in the brake light circuit might fool it.

Anyway, Line lock works, it's proven. I'm going to add mine this year.
And saves the rear rotors and pads.......

Ron
Hmm ill have to try getting on and off the brake like that and i dissconnected the brake light switch didnt do anything lol gonna be trucky tryin to footbrake the car tho
Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Damn electronics!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

Damn electronics!
Right tempted to just slap a th400 in it and go carbed lol
Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 AM
blackvette82
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

did you ever put a line lock on? did that do the trick?! im having the same exact problem.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM
blue07ss
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by blackvette82
did you ever put a line lock on? did that do the trick?! im having the same exact problem.
yea the line lock worked.. just gotta make sure once i hit the gas im just touching the line lock button and no brake
The following users liked this post:
blackvette82 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I had the same problem. My ebcm also was not working and lights always illuminated. Got around to fixing it during my clutch install. Have yet to try a burnout...still in the bed in procedure for clutch...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 PM
blackvette82
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Georgies
I had the same problem. My ebcm also was not working and lights always illuminated. Got around to fixing it during my clutch install. Have yet to try a burnout...still in the bed in procedure for clutch...
I pulled my EBCM off yesterday and the board is fried, it was easy to get to since my motor is out right now, ive been calling and the only reasonably priced people is BBA reman. but there was a thread about how they claim to fix them but really cant.. and also auto ecu made the same claim. and im not paying 2500 for a used unit, so im just gonna put it back on, disconnect it and install a line lock. going turbo so i need a way to heat my tires up at the track.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I can understand it with the EBTCM working, but it is odd that it still happens with the EBTCM dead and fuses blown. That means it doesn't provide any signals to the PCM at all.

That'd make me suspect it really is a brake pedal switch input or something else similar and that the PCM has code to not apply full power when the brakes are applied to "save" you from abusing the drivetrain. Something like that would also explain why changing the traction control tables does nothing to help.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:35 PM
blackvette82
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I can understand it with the EBTCM working, but it is odd that it still happens with the EBTCM dead and fuses blown. That means it doesn't provide any signals to the PCM at all.

That'd make me suspect it really is a brake pedal switch input or something else similar and that the PCM has code to not apply full power when the brakes are applied to "save" you from abusing the drivetrain. Something like that would also explain why changing the traction control tables does nothing to help.
i agree, i feel like your on the right track, blue07ss said he tried disconnecting the brake light switch, i would think doing that and disconnecting the ABS would do the trick.. i might test it when i get the car back on the street
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the Trans Abuse Mode set to disabled? Works every time for the A4 cars that I've tuned.

Russ Kemp
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 AM
blackvette82
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Russ K
Is the Trans Abuse Mode set to disabled? Works every time for the A4 cars that I've tuned.

Russ Kemp
I have no idea, I would call and ask my tuner but they closed their shop a couple months ago. Is there any way to check that?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM
454z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds silly but try doing it in reverse. Pcm maybe shutting it down cause its not communicating with the ebcm

Get notified of new replies

To 98 c5 wont do a burnout or footbrake

Quick Reply: 98 c5 wont do a burnout or footbrake