C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fill gas tank, gauge reads 3/4, is the tank full or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Fill gas tank, gauge reads 3/4, is the tank full or not?

Hello,

My 2002 Z06's fuel gauge reads 3/4 when I fill the tank with gas. I am unsure if the tank is actually full or not. The gas nozzle/pumps will not let me put any more gas in. Is it more likely that the level sensor is bad or that the tanks will not fill past 3/4? I'll burn some fuel this week and try techron at next fill up.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I would say the fuel level sensor is off.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

The C5 fuel sensors (one in each tank) are well known for building up a corrosion on the sensing surfaces. Hundreds of posts on the Forum about this issue.

Next time the fuel is below 1/3 tank add a 20 oz bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus to the nearly empty tank and then fill with your favorite prem fuel. Sometimes takes more than one treatment to clean off all the corrosion on the two sensors.......
Will do! I've read the numerous posts and threads on the issue, but had not come across one where the gauge would peg at 3/4. Seemed like they all would drop to 0 at some point.

Does anyone know if 1 tank drains to 0 before the next tank, or are the tank levels equalized as the fuel level depletes? I think I read in SI that the right tank drains first, then the left. So if I'm at 1/2 tank, I can add Techron and then fill up and most should go into the right side tank, in theory.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:03 PM
94zrag
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Just throwing this out there:When I fill up, if the drivers side of my car is lower than the passenger side, the pump will shut off early and I won't be able to completely fill the tank. Not sure if that's your problem or not, but it couldn't hurt to try it.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I would say the fuel level sensor is off.
That would be my guess too.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:07 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine did this a couple fill ups ago, except it said half. Over the course of about a half hour it came all the way up to full. The blazer I had years ago did this every now and then as well, figured its just a GM thing. Recently I've been running a bottle of techron every few tanks so I guess it will clear out. Hasn't happened since at least.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Besides what everyone else wrote regarding Techron, make sure to only fill up at gas brands that meet the "Top Tier" standard: http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

No, its not a gimmick. Many reputable, independent sources have confirmed that non-Top Tier brands leave 19x more deposits and arent as clean as Top Tier compliant fuels, at all octane grades.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 05-26-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 94zrag
Just throwing this out there:When I fill up, if the drivers side of my car is lower than the passenger side, the pump will shut off early and I won't be able to completely fill the tank. Not sure if that's your problem or not, but it couldn't hurt to try it.
x2 on this.

Happened to me recently at a non-level gas station pump. Was on reserve fuel, and could only fill 7.5 gallons, pretty much half of what a full tank is from reserve light coming on.

Filled up today on a level surface, no such problem!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Update: seems to be a level sensor fault. I've filled up 3 times with a bottle of Techron in each fill up. First tank didn't seem to change anything, understandably. Second tank and the gauge read a little closer to full than before. 3rd tank and the gauge read 1 notch below full. Will try a 4th bottle of Techron at the next fill up.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Besides what everyone else wrote regarding Techron, make sure to only fill up at gas brands that meet the "Top Tier" standard: http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

No, its not a gimmick. Many reputable, independent sources have confirmed that non-Top Tier brands leave 19x more deposits and arent as clean as Top Tier compliant fuels, at all octane grades.
Agreed on the top tier fuel. I do anything to avoid Circle K gas.

One time I was low and went ahead and filled it up there. No joke, the fuel gage didn't move ! I pumped like 16 gallons and the needle was stuck on E. It eventually bounced up, but I reasoned it must have been some crappy gas to immediately seize the sensor.

Get notified of new replies

To Fill gas tank, gauge reads 3/4, is the tank full or not?

Quick Reply: Fill gas tank, gauge reads 3/4, is the tank full or not?