C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Leak Under Boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 PM
CharlieC5Z06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mysterious Leak Under Boost

I posted this in Forced Induction but this gets more action so delete if necessary.

So I posted a few weeks back that I thought I had oil leaking from my procharger. I have a 2002 z06. I would up getting the seals all re done and have been driving the car fine for a couple weeks. I have only gotten it to like 7psi because I was afraid to push it because whenever I went passed 7psi I would get the oil all over the engine bay.

So today I said I gotta try it and got up to 9psi and when I parked I had the oil all over again. The oil is on the belt, pullys and procharger.

Since all the seals are brand new I am wondering if it isnt procharger oil but since it gets on the belt it gets everywhere.

Since this problem started happening I now have smoke coming out of the catch can.

At full boost I never use to see smoke now I can see it if I am hitting it hard and stop at a light I can see it coming out from under the hood.

Could engine oil be leaking from somewhere and getting on the belt to throw it all over?

When I hit it hard today I glanced in the rear view mirror and had a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I am stumped. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks
Old 05-28-2017, 09:02 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

what kind of catch can do you have, how is it vented, and what size lines?... it kinda sounds like you have excessive pressure in the crankcase and if it doesn't have a way out it will push past the seals and cause a leak

also on the smoke out the back, did you buy the car with the supercharger on it or did you install it yourself?... if you installed it yourself has it been tuned?... just curious since you said you never take it past 7psi but today you went to 9psi and saw smoke from the back, it could be excessive fuel from a rich tune... you need to verify if it is oil, coolant, or fuel

Last edited by neutron82; 05-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 PM
CharlieC5Z06
Racer

I have a vented catch can. Not sure line size. Can u check out my thread in forced induction?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

in the other thread you say that you don't use the procharger dipstick and use a breather instead... did you remove the dipstick from the fill hole and replace it with something else?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:01 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is sure sounding like a broken ringland. Hope its not. Try this. Get your car up to operating temp (drive it around, idle it, doesn't matter). Then while car is running take off the oil filler cap. If you have smoke coming out, you have probably broken a ringland on one or more of the pistons. Check your catch can filter to see if its drenched with oil. If so, that's where the oil is spraying out onto the engine. When you have a broken ringland, excess pressure gets into the engine block and pushes out the oil. Boost makes it even worse, higher the boost, worse it gets. Smoke out back caused by same issue. You could do a compression check on each cylinder and that'll give you a lot of info. Good luck. I've been down this road before.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 AM
CharlieC5Z06
Racer

Thanks. I really think it's procharger oil as there is oil in the output tube from the procharger. Also just drained all the procharger oil and I'm def missing a decent amount. Think the smoke is from the procharger oil getting into the intake.

This is the vent kit I have. http://m.ebay.com/itm/VENTING-KIT-FOR-PROCHARGER-SELF-CONTAINED-SUPERCHARGERS-/262090415223
Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 AM
CharlieC5Z06
Racer

A few pics in this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3994153-mysterious-leak-under-boost.html
Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have never seen anyone run one of those before, I would take it off and put the original plug/dipstick back in it and see if that changes anything... when you had the seals done who did the work?... it's hard to tell what's in the discharge hose but the oil on the blower does look like procharger oil
Old 05-29-2017, 10:18 AM
CharlieC5Z06
Racer

Supercharger rebuilds did it. I'm going to do the oil cap test today.

the color of the oil had me thinking it wasn't procharger oil but what other oil would be in the output tube besides procharger oil.

Also in some spots I was able to see the lighter procharger oil. Gonna go clean all the oil up and put the procharger back on and see if smoke is coming out of oil filler
Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 AM
CharlieC5Z06
Racer

The reason I bought that vent is because since the day I got it it was leaking oil very slowly. I put that on and it helped. The procharger is over 10 years old. Prob needs a nice full refurbish

Get notified of new replies

To Mysterious Leak Under Boost

Quick Reply: Mysterious Leak Under Boost