C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 a/c control dark, which resistors to solder

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:57 PM
bigmoney
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 a/c control dark, which resistors to solder

i have the unit out and apart, all parts seem to be tight. only weird thing is a black burnt looking area on the display screen, about 1/4 to 3/8 in dia.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by bigmoney
i have the unit out and apart, all parts seem to be tight. only weird thing is a black burnt looking area on the display screen, about 1/4 to 3/8 in dia.
For some reason, most of the display screens for the C5 HVAC and stock radio that I have seen seem to have a burnt spot that you mention in the bottom right corner, not sure why. It doesn't show when the tinted cover is over it.

Last edited by FX VETTE; 06-08-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Unless you got GREAT eyes and a magnifying glass you might see if you have a cold solder joint. When i took mine apart I SWORE it has to be something else because the solder joints on all 8 resistors looked great but for the hell of it, being it was already apart I re-flowed the solder on both side of all 8. Guess what.............just as bright as the day it was made.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:20 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmoney
That dark spot in the corner is from the manufacturing process getting all the air out of the display, it is not a defect or failure indication. Both the radio and HVAC use vacuum florescent displays. If you look at an old school vacuum tube you will see a similar mark on it.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
FX VETTE (06-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To c5 a/c control dark, which resistors to solder

Quick Reply: c5 a/c control dark, which resistors to solder