C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube Question, Rear bearing housing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 PM
andy_t
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque tube Question, Rear bearing housing...

Hey CF,

I am rebuilding my 2004 C5Z torque tube right now while I have the driveline out to replace the clutch.

I installed the shaft back into the TT housing, snap ring went in like a charm, but the rear bearing housing is spinning inside the TT. From what I remember it was nice and snug in there before I removed it. Ive searched and consulted my service manual, although its not much help as its from my old 99 coupe and thus shows the old bolt-style TT. I even tried tapping the input shaft with a hammer/block (as if to remove it) thinking maybe it needed to seat the rear bearing housing against the snap ring, no dice.

Just turning the input shaft by hand the housing will stay put, but I can easily grab the housing at the back end of the TT and rotate it. I assume it was meant to stay put, which is why there are bearings contained within it.

What did I miss?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It should NOT spin in the housing. If it does, it will eventually wear out the housing. Are you sure that you installed the correct size bearings???

BC
The following users liked this post:
andy_t (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM
andy_t
Burning Brakes

Thanks for following up Bill!

I am positive I got the right bearings, bought them through RPM transmissions (I know they are available cheaper elsewhere).

I took the input/prop shaft and new bearings to a local corvette-only shop and had them remove the old bearings and press in the new ones (separated DS and TT at the house). Given that they specialize in corvettes and have done several of these I don't suspect the issue lies there, but I am scratching my head here.

Put my feeler gauges between the hub and snap ring and can't even get a .0025 to fit so in terms of length I don't think anything has changed.

Similarly, nothing else in terms of the hub/support housing has changed, so I don't know why the hub isn't snug. Is there any type of rear torque tube seal (like there is up front) that I could've missed? I didn't see anything on tear down...

Thanks again. Ill try to post a video after work to give you a better idea.

Last edited by andy_t; 06-19-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 PM
andy_t
Burning Brakes

Default Link to video

As promised I added a video... I actually gave the input shaft a few taps with a wood block and hammer (towards snap ring) and the hub is much tighter in the video than it was before, but still noticeable movement as you can see. Open to ideas/input, I am dying to get this back on the road. I am missing some prime summer weather here in the Pacific Northwest!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=goRR6QypNYQ
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A picture is worth a THOUSAND WORDS,,,, I think you are missing some SCREWS!!

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM
andy_t
Burning Brakes

Default Screws

I know the video is horrible quality, but if you are referring to the 3 small black plastic ones, I still have all of them installed.

From my understanding these are just plugs, GM makes a special tool/puller to remove the DS from the TT that goes into the holes behind these plugs.

Didn't notice any other screws in the disassembly... Gotta thank you for your help as always, can't tell you how much you've helped me over the years! This one is interesting and has me thrown for a loop!

Any other ideas what I may have I missed/wrecked? Anyone else have a thought?

Cheers all!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are THREE fasteners in that outer housing in the link that I posted. Yours does not have those screws. Those screws keep the spindle from rotating in the TT Housing.

Pull the TT Prop shaft back out of the housing and see if there are THREE thredded holes in the main housing.

Bill
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 PM
andy_t
Burning Brakes

Different from these three pictured?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES SIR!!!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Torque tube Question, Rear bearing housing...

Quick Reply: Torque tube Question, Rear bearing housing...