C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't stand the squeal time to swap pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Can't stand the squeal time to swap pads

I have powerstop pads and rotors that were put on brand new by the stealership when I bought my 03 Z06. They have squealed from day one. I've removed all pads/rotors, cleaned and greased them but they still squeal. I have brand new AC Delco durastop ceramic pads that have been sitting in the garage for awhile and was wondering if it's a terrible idea to put those pads on with my current rotors? I know it's best to change rotors when doing pads but my rotors look fine. What do you guys think? Current setup stops great but I can't stand the noise.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 PM
chain_5001
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd go ahead and do it. And if it doesn't perform to your liking then redo it. Thats the nice thing about working on your own car. Plus you didn't have to pay the "stealership" to make it sqeal. But in all fairness brakes do make some noise.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:28 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would swap as well. The other option is to get some squeal stop compound and apply to the back of your current pads. They should have shims, do they?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would swap as well. The other option is to get some squeal stop compound and apply to the back of your current pads. They should have shims, do they?
They do have shims and I cleaned them up like new when I removed everything. I don't know if the lube I used was specifically for squeal or not, I believe it was just standard brake lube but I applied in all the necesary places.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure you get some anti-squeal stuff to put on the back side of the pads as well.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Any of the performance pads will squeal to some degree, the ceramic pads will give you a quieter ride you are looking for. For 95% of your driving, you will not notice any difference but in hard breaking they will not stop as fast. If you are going to replace your pads, then it is a good time to replace your brake fluid. As it ages it pics up moisture and gives you a less responsive pedal. Being a little ****, I replace mine every year.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I use ceramic on the street and am happy with them. I don't know if I will ever track the car but if I do I will swap to metallic.

It's just a preference.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:13 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Any of the performance pads will squeal to some degree, the ceramic pads will give you a quieter ride you are looking for. For 95% of your driving, you will not notice any difference but in hard breaking they will not stop as fast. If you are going to replace your pads, then it is a good time to replace your brake fluid. As it ages it pics up moisture and gives you a less responsive pedal. Being a little ****, I replace mine every year.
Good idea on the fluid. I've used several different performance pads in the past that were all ceramic and never had any noise from them. I'm not sure what compound my current pads are but I would bet they are not ceramics because they are way too noisy. A little noise is to be expected but these cross the line. I will just put the ceramics on with my current rotors and change fluid. I don't do any autox and nothing overly aggressive on the street.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 445 Likes on 328 Posts

If your rotors are glazed, they will tend to make noise and should be resurfaced. If not, have you tried several aggressive stops? Your brakes may not have been properly bedded in.

Usually 3 agressive stops from 45MPH to 10 MPH followed by continuous driving for 10 - 15 minutes to allow for cooling and warpage prevention will bed the brakes. Worth a shot.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:47 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
If your rotors are glazed, they will tend to make noise and should be resurfaced. If not, have you tried several aggressive stops? Your brakes may not have been properly bedded in.

Usually 3 agressive stops from 45MPH to 10 MPH followed by continuous driving for 10 - 15 minutes to allow for cooling and warpage prevention will bed the brakes. Worth a shot.
Have not tried the aggressive stops but I will do that before swapping anything. I know I never bedded them in properly and I highly doubt the dealership did either
Old 06-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

If any air is in the line or ABS you could get unequal braking.
I'm not sure that is the case though.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Actually, many performance (race) pads actually require heat to stop quickly. If you're just driving on the street, you may not get them heated up enough for peak braking power anyway.

If your rotors are glazed do not get them resurfaced (turned). Just take a sanding disc to each side. Then try bedding them.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by huesmann

If your rotors are glazed do not get them resurfaced (turned). Just take a sanding disc to each side. Then try bedding them.
I usually just take a piece of emery cloth and scuff up the rotors, then use brake cleaner to wash away any of abrasive particles, and then do the bedding procedure. I haven't done the vette brakes lately but I did do my truck and my wifes car. No squeal. When breaking in the new pads you do not want to come to a full stop with the brakes applied or you can imprint the pad onto the rotor.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Pull the pads off, put high temp anit-sieze on the pad wherever the backing plate touches, you'll never hear them again unless you track the car and melt it off.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:55 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Here's a pic of my rotors, you may not be able to tell much but to me they see to be in good shape.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

If the brake pedal isn't pulsing (warped rotor) and there is no uneven wear on the rotors, I would just scuff them up. They look OK to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't stand the squeal time to swap pads

Quick Reply: Can't stand the squeal time to swap pads