C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear main seal install gone wrong! Need advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRedRaider
]have been damaged when the drive line was removed and the engine tilted back?
the oil pressure sending unit is on top behind the intake manifold its possible when you tilted the engine you broke?

i never herd of oil pouring out the way your saying from a seal, bad leaks yes but never just pour out
Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 AM
TexasRedRaider
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
the oil pressure sending unit is on top behind the intake manifold its possible when you tilted the engine you broke?

i never herd of oil pouring out the way your saying from a seal, bad leaks yes but never just pour out

That's all good to go, plus the oil is coming straight from the input shaft/rear seal area INSIDE the bell housing. If it was from above the bell housing it would be running down the sides and that completely dry.

And yes it poured out. I would guess 4-5 qts in about 20 seconds.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

i just had my car to RPM trans i had a slight leak i thought it was a rear man seal but when they pulled it a part found out a flywheel bolt was leaking i was shocked wess told me its common since its a open holes in the crank is it possible you left one out?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:18 AM
TexasRedRaider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stroker87
i just had my car to RPM trans i had a slight leak i thought it was a rear man seal but when they pulled it a part found out a flywheel bolt was leaking i was shocked wess told me its common since its a open holes in the crank is it possible you left one out?

I will definitely re-check this, thanks.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

This is sort of abstract but I am wondering if the gasses inside the crank case exploded blowing either the rear seal or welsh plug out.

If the explosion was a back fire in the exhaust then that doesn't have much to do with the seal failing and is a mere coincidence.

If there is a rust ring on the drive shaft seal surface then it will damage the seal.

If the seal came out due to crank case pressure then you may have excessive blow by gasses. In that case I would do a compression test. If one or more cylinders measures low then you found your problem.
The following users liked this post:
TexasRedRaider (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:32 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
If the seal came out due to crank case pressure then you may have excessive blow by gasses. In that case I would do a compression test. If one or more cylinders measures low then you found your problem.
A compression test wouldn't have anything to do with crank case pressure. Only cylinder pressure and those aren't affected by a welsh plug or rear main.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ~Josh
A compression test wouldn't have anything to do with crank case pressure. Only cylinder pressure and those aren't affected by a welsh plug or rear main.
Where does excessive crank pressure come from?
Leaky something, rings or head gaskets.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:52 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Where does excessive crank pressure come from?
Leaky something, rings or head gaskets.
Yeah an engine that was running fine before you pull the transmission has a catastrophic piston failure before it even starts up again.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, I reread the first post and see that he replaced the original seal as PM. and not a prior leak.

Last edited by Rob 02; 06-24-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 AM
TexasRedRaider
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee;1594996288]There is a WELSH PLUG (basically a freeze plug) in the end of your crank shaft. LS Engine cranks are hollow. It seals the inside of the engine from the outside. If that plug becomes dislodged, you will get a very large oil leak. (when the engine is running)

I do not see how much oil can come out if the engine is not running but some what ever is remaining inside the crank could have leaked out or in your case BLEW OUT.

Sorry for the bad news but give that a look.

Let me know what you think.

It was the rear seal, looks like the lip blew outwards.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Crank case pressure.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM
TexasRedRaider
Intermediate

Default Closing the loop

It was indeed the new rear main seal I installed, so either the "bang" blew the seal out or I didn't align it properly.

...on that. I used the align it tool from Sac city corvette to align the rear cover. On my first attempt it was really, really hard to get it off the crank because of the inside o-ring. I had to fight and pry on it *possibly this caused the alignment to be off*. On my 2nd attempt I took off the o-ring, align it again the way the youtube video shows and didn't have any problems.

But on a side not...my trans is still all farked-up, so I get to pull the whole driveline out AGAIN, but hey im getting pretty good at it!

Quick Reply: Rear main seal install gone wrong! Need advice please!