C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 1998 Coupe Owner w/ Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Spec Wrench Ops
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C: Diagnosing Bad Evaporator

My intro-post is below. Updating this to deal specifically with my problem:

How does one diagnose a bad evaporator? I know compressor is bad, worried EVAP is bad too. Car shoots blend door trouble codes too, both sides. Could those codes shoot just because of low R-134A from leaky Compressor? Do the evaps fail? Effects of system uncharged for awhile?? Thx...

Intro Post:

Greetings Forum Members!

I've had my '98 a little over a year now. Second Vette in my family, grew up in a black '89 with my dad going to the Corvette Expo shows here in East TN (used to be at Chilhowee Park) and running all over the mountains.

The current repairs to my Vette began a few months ago when the harmonic balancer de-laminated. Looks like it may be the original one to the car or an OEM look-a-like replacement. Currently have an ATI Super Balancer in my kitcken waiting to go on. Already have EVERYTHING out of the front of the car...because...

...The A/C quit working a few months before the balancer gave way. I KNOW the compressor is bad so I already have a REMAN from 4 seasons. Just got the old compressor out a few hours ago. I really appreciate the AC compressor replacement thread on here. Super helpful. So my first question to the forum is...

Would it be okay to reinstall everything in my car and drive it without connecting power to the new AC Compressor until I validate there is not also a leak at the evaporator? I believe there is because it smells pretty bad in the cabin. How could I test if the evaporator is leaking without putting everything back together and recharging the system? The blend door trouble codes are shooting, but I've heard a bad compressor can cause that even if the blend doors are ok...not sure if I believe that though. I know it is a loaded question. I would just love to get back on the road and finish this repair (balancer / compressor) before replacing the condensor and evaporator. Trying to save money and spread this out as it is my daily driver.

Thanks, all help is so appreciated! I've used the forum for awhile now but just made my account. I'll sit back and watch this unfold.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Spec Wrench Ops; 06-24-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Highlighting Current Issues
Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this over to C5 Tech.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Spec Wrench Ops
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leak Testing Evaporator

Okay, so there are instructions in Rocco's AC Compressor replacement guide on leak testing the entire system.

Any tips on leak testing just the evaporator? ...without getting to the evap...doing it through the lines that connect to the compressor / accumulator.

Thanks...figuring it out slowly but surely. Much reading and work comes between those Eureka moments that keep us moving through life.

Get notified of new replies

To New 1998 Coupe Owner w/ Question!

Quick Reply: New 1998 Coupe Owner w/ Question!