C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Swap Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts
Default Lifter Swap Parts List

Hello.

Can someone check my list for changing out the lifters in my 2002 Z06? So far I will be getting:

1. Pair LS6 head gaskets
2. LS7 Lifters
3. GM Head bolt kit (for pre-2004 blocks)
4. Lifter trays

I have a lifter on the drivers side front of the engine that is louder than I would like and so I am going to swap them out for a fresh set. Besides coolant and oil, are there any other parts that I need?

Not going to do a cam swap at this time, by the way.

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 07-02-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:47 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

How many miles on the engine? I would at least have a look at the cam lobes when changing lifters, and if high mileage look at the timing chain....but that's just me. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Might also consider a set of intake manifold gaskets. Had about 80k on my car when I swapped to an LS6 intake and the gaskets on the old intake hardly protruded from the intake when I removed it, probably didn't seal worth a flip.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:38 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I would use ARP bolts especially if the GM bolts are torque to yield.

LS1howto has a great write up on procedures and needed parts. Granted you will not have to go as deep leaving the cam in the car.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

Yes I would do a cam swap, I always regretted not doing one when I swapped to the newer design optispark in my 93 as I had the timing cover was off and there. If a lifter comes out damaged, I would take a good look at the cam lobe. If the lobe is damaged you will be there again.

Another nice thing to do with the intake off is the remote oil pressure sensor mod. Post 26

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-options.html

Last edited by 93Polo; 07-04-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 93Polo
I would use ARP bolts especially if the GM bolts are torque to yield.

LS1howto has a great write up on procedures and needed parts. Granted you will not have to go as deep leaving the cam in the car.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

Yes I would do a cam swap, I always regretted not doing one when I swapped to the newer design optispark in my 93 as I had the timing cover was off and there. If a lifter comes out damaged, I would take a good look at the cam lobe. If the lobe is damaged you will be there again.

Another nice thing to do with the intake off is the remote oil pressure sensor mod. Post 26

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-options.html
I don't think I want to put a bigger cam (at least for a while). While my Z06 has less power than my cammed LS2 GTO I traded it for, the Vette is so much lighter, over all it's much faster. And if I did, then I would need to put better springs, pushrods, etc. and the cost and work just keeps snowballing.

My current goals are just really restoration, freshening up the car, and some enhancement. I already changed the springs to a fresh set but my car does have quite a bit of lifter tick when I first start it that I would like to get rid of.

I am considering the ARP head bolts. They are a very nice upgrade but they sure cost a premium.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I don't think I want to put a bigger cam (at least for a while). While my Z06 has less power than my cammed LS2 GTO I traded it for, the Vette is so much lighter, over all it's much faster. And if I did, then I would need to put better springs, pushrods, etc. and the cost and work just keeps snowballing.

My current goals are just really restoration, freshening up the car, and some enhancement. I already changed the springs to a fresh set but my car does have quite a bit of lifter tick when I first start it that I would like to get rid of.

I am considering the ARP head bolts. They are a very nice upgrade but they sure cost a premium.

Thanks.
Understood believe me I know project creep If you do go into the car later the ARPs can be reused.

I would replace the o-rings on the injectors but did not think of any other parts that would be on the parts list.

If you want to further quiet things down, the Straub trunnions are very nice but in my opinion completely unnecessary on a stock cam.

Last edited by 93Polo; 07-05-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:05 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Water pump gaskets
Intake gaskets
Exhaust gaskets
Steam tube o-rings
Valve cover gaskets
Redline Assembly Lube
Valve Train Organizing Tray

Other thoughts:

Straub rocker bushing kit
ARP Studs
Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

lap the valves while the heads are off.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Water pump shouldn't have to come off to get just the heads. I have reused the valve cover gaskets on more than one car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-gaskets.html
Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Water pump gaskets
Intake gaskets
Exhaust gaskets
Steam tube o-rings
Valve cover gaskets
Redline Assembly Lube
Valve Train Organizing Tray

Other thoughts:

Straub rocker bushing kit
ARP Studs
LOL!! ARP Head studs were the very FIRST thing that I thought of. Seen TOO MANY people strip the threads out of the block using the TTY Bolts.

Also make ABSOFRIGGENLOOTLY SURE that the bolt holes inside the block are 100% DRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any liquid inside the blind holes will cause the block to CRACK when you torque down the bolts.

The holes also need to be clean.. Purchase a designated thread cleaning tap that is made to ClEAN the threads. DO NOT use a regular tap!!

Valve springs, valve guide seals!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
LOL!! ARP Head studs were the very FIRST thing that I thought of. Seen TOO MANY people strip the threads out of the block using the TTY Bolts.

Also make ABSOFRIGGENLOOTLY SURE that the bolt holes inside the block are 100% DRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any liquid inside the blind holes will cause the block to CRACK when you torque down the bolts.

The holes also need to be clean.. Purchase a designated thread cleaning tap that is made to ClEAN the threads. DO NOT use a regular tap!!

Another advantage to studs over bolts is if you are in there again you do not have to worry about fluid getting in the holes.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:04 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Water pump shouldn't have to come off to get just the heads. I have reused the valve cover gaskets on more than one car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-gaskets.html
True, but it allows you to pump down the liquid in the block prior to head removal and reduces the resulting mess. Also provides a bit more room for cleaning the block in the front.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

I think I will go with the ARP bolts. I would love to use the ARP studs but they are nearly $400 while the bolts are $200.

I will definitely clean out the holes thoroughly. I did a DOD delete on my G8 and used compressed cans of air with the plastic tube place all the way down in the holes to blow out the liquid. Then I used some very long wooden cotton swabs with multiple passes to soak up any residual, the ran a thread cleaner. I also cleaned the block and head surfaces with a plastic razor blade.

As for valve springs and guides, I changed those within a week that I got the car. This is the 4th LS engine that I have changed springs on and I always change the guides while I am at it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter Swap Parts List

Quick Reply: Lifter Swap Parts List