C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main/Accessory Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulley Part Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Main/Accessory Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulley Part Numbers

Try as I might, every search I could think of came up with results for the a/c belt pulleys, which I already previously replaced. Does anyone have the GM part numbers for the main drive belt idler and tensioner pulleys? I know for the a/c belt, the idler and tensioner pulleys are the same, but I think the main/accessory drive belt idler pulley is different than the pulley on the tensioner, right?

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-09-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:59 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
Try as I might, every search I could think of came up with results for the a/c belt pulleys, which I already previously replaced. Does anyone have the GM part numbers for the main drive belt idler and tensioner pulleys? I know for the a/c belt, the idler and tensioner pulleys are the same, but I think the main/accessory drive belt idler pulley is different than the pulley on the tensioner, right?
I just went throught this. Go to rockauto, go to make and model, then what year. Go to belt tensioners. They have all the different pulleys you need. A/C delco is the ones i bought. Already installed with no problem. Everything lined up perfect. When you read description it states main drive or a/c drive.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the suggestion, but Rock Auto shows multiple AC Delco pulleys for both main drive idler and tensioner pulleys. Now what?
Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Thanks for the suggestion, but Rock Auto shows multiple AC Delco pulleys for both main drive idler and tensioner pulleys. Now what?
Get the professional one. Ill get you the #'s
Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Rock Auto descriptions are not clear, and apparently not even right, sometimes confusing main/acessory drive pulleys with a/c system pulleys, yikes!. I cross referenced them with parts on Amazon to narrow down my options. I then read the reviews on Amazon, which weeded down the list to these two:

AC Delco 38008 for the tensioner pulley, although it is listed as "flanged idler pulley" on Amazon
AC Delco 12564401 for the main drive belt idler pulley

Does anyone think these are wrong? Even though Rock Auto is slightly cheaper, I'm leaning towards Amazon because:

1) They weren't as confusing,
2) When I factor in Rock Auto shipping vs. two-day free Amazon Prime shipping, it's pretty much a wash
3) Rock Auto once sent me a wrong fuel pump, even though I ordered the right one, and they refused to rush me the correct one, even when I explained that my huge Suburban fuel tank would now have to lay dangerously in my driveway for a week. I'm sure you can imagine what I told them when they said there was nothing they could do about their mistake, whereas on the rare occasion when something has gone wrong on Amzon, they've been stellar with customer service, even if it was my fault.

Sorry, I digress. Any additional thoughts on the parts I am thinking are correct?

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-09-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Rock Auto descriptions are not clear, and apparently not even right, sometimes confusing main/acessory drive pulleys with a/c system pulleys, yikes!. I cross referenced them with parts on Amazon to narrow down my options. I then read the reviews on Amazon, which weeded down the list to these two:

AC Delco 38008 for the tensioner pulley, although it is listed as "flanged idler pulley" on Amazon
AC Delco 12564401 for the main drive belt idler pulley

Does anyone think these are wrong? Even though Rock Auto is slightly cheaper, I'm leaning towards Amazon because:

1) They weren't as confusing,
2) When I factor in Rock Auto shipping vs. two-day free Amazon Prime shipping, it's pretty much a wash
3) Rock Auto once sent me a wrong fuel pump, even though I ordered the right one, and they refused to rush me the correct one, even when I explained that my huge Suburban fuel tank would now have to lay dangerously in my driveway for a week. I'm sure you can imagine what I told them when they said there was nothing they could do about their mistake, whereas on the rare occasion when something has gone wrong on Amzon, they've been stellar with customer service, even if it was my fault.

Sorry, I digress. Any additional thoughts on the parts I am thinking are correct?
here are the one's i would order. ACDELCO Main Idler 36225, ACDELCO Tensioner pulley 1540486. These are not a/c pulleys. Their the main drive. I just bought the whole tensioner with pulley.Just to make sure it is new tension.

Last edited by helga203; 07-09-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by helga203
here are the one's i would order. ACDELCO Main Idler 36225, ACDELCO Tensioner pulley 1540486. These are not a/c pulleys. Their the main drive. I just bought the whole tensioner with pulley.Just to make sure it is new tension.
Interestingly, gmparts direct also says the idler is the number i posted above, not the number you posted. Are you sure 36225 is what you used? In fact, 36225 is not even listed for my car on Rock Auto.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:23 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Yes, Name:  Screenshot_20170710-123400.png
Views: 2939
Size:  502.1 KB It's the same pulley. All the dimensions are the same.ACDELCO 12564401 same as 36225.

Last edited by helga203; 07-10-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by helga203
Yes, Attachment 48112257 It's the same pulley. All the dimensions are the same.ACDELCO 12564401 same as 36225.
I don't even see a 36225, which is why I questioned the numbers you originally posted, and forgive me for saying so, but I still don't, so I obviously don't see specs on the 3225. In either case, the 12564401 is one of the numbers I originally asked about.

The 1540486 comes up with conflicting applications when I search for that tensioner pulley. To that end, searches for the 38008 tensioner pulley result in the correct fit. You went for the complete tensioner and not the 1540486, correct?

I don't know why Rock Auto displays multiple AC Delco pulley numbers with different prices for the same application. I don't think I should trust their numbers.

To make matters worse, Summit Racing shows yet another different alternate part number for the idler pulley!

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-11-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:55 AM
helga203
Safety Car

I don't even see a 36225, which is why I questioned the numbers you originally posted, and forgive me for saying so, but I still don't, so I obviously don't see specs on the 3225. In either case, the 12564401 is one of the numbers I originally asked about.

The 1540486 comes up with conflicting applications when I search for that tensioner pulley. To that end, searches for the 38008 tensioner pulley result in the correct fit. You went for the complete tensioner and not the 1540486, correct?

I don't know why Rock Auto displays multiple AC Delco pulley numbers with different prices for the same application. I don't think I should trust their numbers.

To make matters worse, Summit Racing shows yet another different alternate part number for the idler pulley!
yes It is confusing but even the dayco pulleys have the same to close deminions. Try GMparts. The pulley that I got the deminions where off a little but is perfect. Belt rides in the middle of the pulley and there steel now not plastic.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:59 AM
NOS2006
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys! Sorry, not trying to bump an old thread, just trying to understand if the Main Drive and Accessory Drive share the same Idler Pulley (AC Delco # 12564401).

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

No, they do not.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:29 PM
NOS2006
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, they do not.
Do you know the other P/N then?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:39 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOS2006
Do you know the other P/N then?
I bought mine off Amazon, but unfortunately they only store past orders for so long so the order doesn't show. But, if I remember correctly, one is flanged, while the other is smooth. Also, I found conflicting part numbers at all the places like Autozone, Napa, O'Reilly, etc. I even bought them local only to find they didn't fit. In the end I went AC Delco off Amazon, and they were a perfect fit.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:59 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Oops, my bad. I was thinking tensioner vs. Idler. Sorry about that. Idler s are both smooth, but I don't remember if they're the same between belts.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:13 PM
KennyP55
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, my bad. I was thinking tensioner vs. Idler. Sorry about that. Idler s are both smooth, but I don't remember if they're the same between belts.
hey guys... new owner of a 2004 Z06 with 51k miles which is my first vette an I am absolutely loving this car!.

I had to replace the harmonic balancer and had a new stock size Powerbond balancer installed which is excellent. i noticed that the main serpentine belt continues to slip off the belt tensioner after hard driving which it also did with the old balancer and I thought this new powerbond install would have corrected.

The belt never comes off that passenger side tensioner completely, but 1-2 ribs slip off and I get my wrench out to pull down the tensioner and slide the belt back on.

My tensioner only moves maybe a quarter of an inch when I use the wrench to push it down so I am concerned that either the belt is too small and not allowing the tensioner to extend fully, OR my tensioner spring is just shot at 51k miles and time to replace????

Here's a photo of the belt tensioner (passenger side) and you can see where the metal tab on the right aligns with the 3 "lines" on the left which on mine is the middle of the top line. I've searched the boards here and cant find an answer to where these tensioner wear marks/lines should align if the tensioner is working properly? I assume since I can barely push down the tensioner to release it that either I have a too small belt, OR the tensioner spring is shot? any ideas? thx guys

2004 c5 Z06 belt tensioner with 51k miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Main/Accessory Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulley Part Numbers

Quick Reply: Main/Accessory Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulley Part Numbers