C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My steering is locked on my 2000 corvette

Old 07-27-2017, 01:05 AM
Kevin196
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My steering is locked on my 2000 corvette

When I try to drive the steering wheel locks how can I unlock it
Old 07-27-2017, 05:03 AM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin196
When I try to drive the steering wheel locks how can I unlock it
I see you're new, so I'll just suggest you read over the first sticky in this (tech) section as it covers a lot of info regarding your issue. Would also suggest search as its been covered plenty of times.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
I see you're new, so I'll just suggest you read over the first sticky in this (tech) section as it covers a lot of info regarding your issue. Would also suggest search as its been covered plenty of times.
I'm sure 8vette7 will pick this up. His hours are worse then mine. He is the column lock ace.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

There is a trick that works (sometimes) with manual trans cars that will get you going once or twice that hasn't been mentioned here for several years. Got me home so I could really figure out what was wrong.

Key in the ignition, off position
Grab the steering wheel both hands
Turn the steering wheel suddenly and hard back and forth (yes it is locked it will only move a litte bit). Put ooomph in this step.
Hold right turn pressure on the steering wheel after rocking a few times. same pressure as used in the ooomph step above.
slowly turn the key to the on position , then start it.
If it runs, DO NOT SHUT IT DOWN until you get safely home!!!!

If the lock doesn't release and the car start, then try once more, but if it does not work, it probably won't.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

The easiest fix is what K24556 suggests, however, I always tell people to turn the ignition to on, and turn it back and forth as hard as you can until the lock is bypassed. When you are home, check you battery voltage and reserve capacity. With engine off find the voltage at the battery--if below 12.5V you need a new battery because it will cause column lock and several other gremlins. If it is 12.5-12.7V have the reserve capacity checked. Once it goes below 60-75, it can also cause column lock. GM recommends 110+ RC for a new battery among other ratings. Fixes are generally related to the LMC5 solution from Compliance Parts. Several write ups and UTube videos are available.

The following users liked this post:
Imamotohead (07-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To My steering is locked on my 2000 corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My steering is locked on my 2000 corvette