C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Noise Video (w/front sway bar removed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 AM
hoodie2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mystery Noise Video (w/front sway bar removed)

Ok so I've been working to track down a suspension noise before I move. The noise seems to get worse once the car has warmed up, about 15 minutes of driving. Most people suggested the sway bar but because my end links were newish I was skeptical. So I removed the entire bar, and drove to warm up the vehicle. When I returned home I noticed the noise was very pronounced when I went to enter my driveway and garage. So on the 3rd time, I filmed it. Again this is with the front bar, end links and bushings completely off the car.

What is this noise?!?!?

Last edited by hoodie2011; 07-30-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:11 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Waiting patiently... I have the exact same noise. Only comes from the front drivers side - got out and pushed each of the wheels independently. I haven't had the time to remove the sway bar yet to rule that out. I suspect it is shock related though...
Old 07-30-2017, 02:08 PM
hoodie2011
Instructor

Originally Posted by unlvrebel

Waiting patiently... I have the exact same noise. Only comes from the front drivers side - got out and pushed each of the wheels independently. I haven't had the time to remove the sway bar yet to rule that out. I suspect it is shock related though...
Yeah, at this point I'm not sure what else it could be. I was thinking maybe brake drag? but both wheels rotate almost freely with just the slightest noise of pads on rotors.

I'm not sure on shocks, you can hear my car still squeaking as I pull up into the driveway and that part of my driveway is very smooth despite the incline. It doesn't seem to matter if the road is rough or smooth it just keeps making the noise as long as the vehicle is in motion. i've also tried getting the car rocking a few times by pushing on the fenders above the shocks and its not making noise. Car hardly moves because the suspension is stiff but I would think it would make the noise then too.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:31 PM
hoodie2011
Instructor

Ok took it to my local tire and suspension shop, and they told me its in the steering column but that they don't do that work and pointed me to another local automotive place. Anybody heard of steering column noises in the C5? Not sure what it could be.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by hoodie2011
Ok took it to my local tire and suspension shop, and they told me its in the steering column but that they don't do that work and pointed me to another local automotive place. Anybody heard of steering column noises in the C5? Not sure what it could be.
Steering column? Seems unlikely. If the sound only occurred during turning, sure. But the column itself does not pivot up and down. I'm dubious...
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM
hoodie2011
Instructor

Steering column? Seems unlikely. If the sound only occurred during turning, sure. But the column itself does not pivot up and down. I'm dubious...
yeah so I took it to the recommended shop this morning but they wouldn't touch it based on the steering column suggestion of the previous shop. So I ended up at a different chevy dealer than I normally use. However I should have been using this new dealer all along it looks like. Half their shop was full of vetted and camaros. So their tech said based on the noise he thought it was bushing somewhere. But they're full up until about Saturday so I'll drop off then and find out.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:32 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by hoodie2011
yeah so I took it to the recommended shop this morning but they wouldn't touch it based on the steering column suggestion of the previous shop. So I ended up at a different chevy dealer than I normally use. However I should have been using this new dealer all along it looks like. Half their shop was full of vetted and camaros. So their tech said based on the noise he thought it was bushing somewhere. But they're full up until about Saturday so I'll drop off then and find out.

VERY interested in the outcome...

Get notified of new replies

To Mystery Noise Video (w/front sway bar removed)

Quick Reply: Mystery Noise Video (w/front sway bar removed)