C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left front Daytime Running Light /Turn signal

Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Clayton59
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Left front Daytime Running Light /Turn signal

OK my Corvette Forum friends, again I come to you with a situation and request your assistance.

I have C5 2001 coupe. The left front running light and turn signal don't work. The left side parking light does work. The rear turn signal and brake lights work as they should. The right side lights all work as they should. I have already replaced the bulb with a new one (twice, two different blubs). I already replaced the #40 relay, even though I swapped the #38 and #40 and there was no difference in either one.

I have read other posts where the running lights, 4 way Flashers and turn signals were inoperative... I think my situation is a little different than that. My situation only pertains to the left front Daytime running light/Turn signal

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Clayton59
Advanced

when I turn on the 4way flashers, 3 of the four work. the left front does not. Where does this wire harness plug in the to main harness? I want to run back up the harness and check the connections.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:45 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

A fried L/F bulb socket can be a problem too. They get cooked over time from all the heat from the OE incandescent bulb, which is the source of the C5 parking light/DRL issues in the first place.

HTH
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Clayton59
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Cannot be the fuse if the RF light works since the same fuse services both sides and if the relay #40 and the LF bulb are known good, there are only a few things that it could be.

Wiring between the relay and the bulb, the bulb socket itself, the ground (Splice pack 100 and G102 which are on the left side frame near the headlight) or a BCM problem since the BCM provides the ground for the coil side of relay 40. Is or has the carpet in the passenger foot well been wet?? No, never been wet

If none of the above are found to be a problem it could be the portion of the multi function switch that operates the LF turn signal. Separate electrical power path in the MFS for LF, RF LR and RR signal lights.

So, I found the plug under the Right Front headlight. I unplugged the harness and used my volt meter. I touched the black wire prong with the negative side of the meter. with the red probe I touched the Dark Blue wire prong (right side light) and got a 14 volt reading. When I touched the Light blue wire prong (left side light) there was no power... Therefore I'm leaning toward the Multifunction switch... What are your thoughts? Where can I get the correct GM part number for this? I looked on GM Parts.com but they only show the switch for NON Telescopic steering column. Mine is telescopic.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Clayton59
So, I found the plug under the Right Front headlight. I unplugged the harness and used my volt meter. I touched the black wire prong with the negative side of the meter. with the red probe I touched the Dark Blue wire prong (right side light) and got a 14 volt reading. When I touched the Light blue wire prong (left side light) there was no power... Therefore I'm leaning toward the Multifunction switch... What are your thoughts? Where can I get the correct GM part number for this? I looked on GM Parts.com but they only show the switch for NON Telescopic steering column. Mine is telescopic.
GM 26075870 or,
AC Delco D1512G
Same part number for all C5s.

HTH
The following users liked this post:
Clayton59 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

Unfortunately I cannot help you with sourcing the MFS as I have NOT had to do that yet. I did just do a quick look on a couple of parts places (Rock Auto, O'reilly) and they do NOT seem to make note of the telescopic column. That is not conclusive in my mind so I might call a local dealer and ask if there are two different parts or not......
ACD makes no distinction as well.....

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php

Click on "wipers/lamps/fuses" > then "Lighting Modules and Switches"

I've changed one out before and not nearly as difficult as I expected.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Just went through this.....no head lights-was twisty thing on stalk switch..
Gene @cultrag parts 484-334-8833
Vettenuts (someone here will have number or goggle) new/used
John Llewellyn 865.604.0498 used
I went with a used one ($$$$) and it was like new.
mike v

Get notified of new replies

To Left front Daytime Running Light /Turn signal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left front Daytime Running Light /Turn signal