C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

small hose behind trans fluid pan and mystery leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Rover01
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20
Default small hose behind trans fluid pan and mystery leak

Hi folks,

I've been chasing a small leak in the rear. After a couple hours of driving i get a small spot under the center of the rear end. Like a single drip or two.
I reached up around the diff vent and found some moisture there but really very little. The fluid on the floor looks green so I thought axle grease but the boots are dry. I did find greasy scum on the top of the spring but it seemed old, like perhaps it may have been from the output bushing repair the PO had done in April or some other event in the past.

I did see a small 1/4 hose which ends behind the tranny fluid pan which had some moisture but again nothing much. What is the purpose of this hose?

TIA,

Mike
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like you're talking about the transmission breather hose. It vents excess pressure from the trans to the outside. Transmission fluid is red, thin viscosity and slippery. If you're seeing a green fluid, it's probably from the differential. The axle seals are prone to leaking after 50 k or so miles and they will coat the springs and rear cradle with diff oil. You generally have to get under the car to spot the leak. The telltale signs are dark stains on one or both sides of the rear diff where the axles enter the diff casing. Oil deposits on the rear spring and cradle also indicate the seals are leaking. The fix is easy and cheap, but it is a little time consuming if you do the repair yourself. A garage will probably want $500.00 or so, maybe more. It would be a good idea to check the fluid level in the diff to make sure it's not low.
The following users liked this post:
Rover01 (08-14-2017)

Quick Reply: small hose behind trans fluid pan and mystery leak