C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has installed an ls2 oil pan on c5 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 PM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who has installed an ls2 oil pan on c5 corvette?

I'm swapping an ls2 motor from a GTO into my c5 corvette and will be installing a corvette ls2 oil pan. My question is: what supporting parts should I be using with this configuration? I know the gto ls2 oil pans are different from the corvette ls2, so that makes me wonder if the gto ls2 dipstick, windage tray, and pick up tube will work with the vette oil pan. I'm also wondering if the ls2 oil level sensor can be used with c5 (2000) ls1 wiring, or if adaptations need to be made.

Basically, which version should I be using from each of these parts?
Dipstick: c5 ls1, gto ls2, or other?
Windage tray: c5 ls1, gto ls2, or other?
Oil pick up tube: c5 ls1, gto ls2, or other?
Oil level sensor: c5 ls1, c6 ls2, or other?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Not sure about the GTO stuff specifically, but I have an LS3 Corvette pan (same casting, but the oil filter threads are metric) on my '99. I'm using the LS2 Corvette dipstick tube and dipstick. FWIW, I have LS7 exhaust, so I'm not sure how this setup fits with LS1 manifolds or headers, but it fits great for me. I reused my original LS1 pickup and windage tray with no problems--both of them bolted right on. The oil level sensor was a 3-pin vs, my LS1's 2-pin. I thought about re-wiring the harness so I could use the new sensor, but just decided to swap the old sensor on instead, and it works fine.

Summary:
Dipstick: c6 ls2
Windage tray: c5 ls1
Oil pick up tube: c5 ls1
Oil level sensor: c5 ls1

Good luck!

Last edited by TastyBacon; 08-14-2017 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C5_Scott (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:31 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I bought my car with a LS2 pan on it and do not know which dipstick. I am relatively certain they did the LS2 pick up and windage tray.

It has an Improved racing crank scraper in place of the windage tray, and their baffles.

No problem with original design Kooks 1 3/4" or LG Super Pros.

You can usually find the part #s googling the part on something like GM parts direct, the GTO forums or LS1tech.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:51 AM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

Thanks, I didn't know about the different oil level sensor wiring. I'll have to transfer my old sensor over and use the corvette ls2 dipstick, windage, and oil pickup tube. That comment about metric vs standard oil filter threads is a good heads up! It will surely save some head scratching later if the filter doesn't thread on.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_Scott
I'm swapping an ls2 motor from a GTO into my c5 corvette and will be installing a corvette ls2 oil pan. My question is: what supporting parts should I be using with this configuration? I know the gto ls2 oil pans are different from the corvette ls2, so that makes me wonder if the gto ls2 dipstick, windage tray, and pick up tube will work with the vette oil pan. I'm also wondering if the ls2 oil level sensor can be used with c5 (2000) ls1 wiring, or if adaptations need to be made.

Basically, which version should I be using from each of these parts?
Dipstick: c5 ls1, gto ls2, or other?
Windage tray: c5 ls1, gto ls2, or other?
Oil pick up tube: c5 ls1, gto ls2, or other?
Oil level sensor: c5 ls1, c6 ls2, or other?

Thanks!
If the part number is different, it's likely a different part and not compatible.

The pickup tube for the C5 and C6 are all the same part numbers. The windage tray in the GTO, C5, and C6 are all the same part number as well.

The dip stick and dip stick tube are different part numbers, however. This makes sense because the C5 pan is shallower.

So to answer your question:

Dipstick: C6 LS2 dip stick, part number 12570788
http://www.improvedracing.com/dip-st...0788-p-93.html

Dipstick tube: C6 LS2 dip stick tube, part number 12570787
http://www.improvedracing.com/dip-st...0787-p-95.html

Windage tray: C5 LS1, LS2 GTO, or LS2 C6, all are the same

Oil pickup tube: C5 LS1 or LS2 C6, they are the same. GTO is different.

Oil level sensor: C5 LS1 for compatibility with your wiring harness

While you're in there, I highly recommend adding this part: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...amp-p-642.html

If it's going to be tracked at all, you might want to consider our baffle and crank scraper as well.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
skull (12-23-2020)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 PM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

Thanks, I'm about to place an order for the oil pickup tube brace right now. I was actually already scoping these out as they seem like a great preventative measure.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has installed an ls2 oil pan on c5 corvette?

Quick Reply: Who has installed an ls2 oil pan on c5 corvette?