C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS: 2 Mechanics cannot figure out what's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have worked on Corvettes for a long while. The C5 since 1999. I have see this SAME issue TOO MANY times.

99% of the time it relates to the starter. Its either a bad / defective Starter Solenoid (They are well known to be defective) OR Its a loose/ corroded/dirty or burnt main connection on the solenoid main terminal!

Your $275.00 hr Mechanic stated: "(3) STARTER (my mechanic says no); My mechanic says for the last two weeks he's had it, it starts up perfectly every time.

YOU NEED A NEW MECHANIC!

PLEASE have someone install a NEW STARTER. You have to remove the starter to replace the solenoid so,,,, just replace the starter as well.

NEW SOLENOID on my old starter. Its solved my issues that were the same as your NO START issue.

STARTER MAIN CONNECTION:

Bill
Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnyRainbowHeart
To KOZ: LOL.

You will never believe what one of the 2 mechanics said about my hazard flasher being inoperative most of the time. He said excitedly: "DON'T USE THE HAZARD FLASHER! IT INTERFERES WITH THE HEADLIGHTS!"

As soon as I get a job I will switch to the mechanic who exclusively works on Corvettes and has over 6 bays dedicated to Corvettes. He is almost legendary for his knowledge of Corvettes. (BTW, he's in Gaithersburg, Maryland and the name of his shop is TONY'S CORVETTE.)

BTW, the cars that go in and out of Tony's are scrumptious; I salivate while gaping at the many models and years and after-market modifications.
Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
Just got to wondering. $275/hour mechanic? And other stuff.
Are we being pranked by the OP?
Originally Posted by SunnyRainbowHeart
No. This is the truth.(That's how he sent--among other expenditures--his son to one of the most exclusive and expensive prep schools in the area, if not the country, which costs about $45,000.00 a year per kid.)

What's an OP?
I'm not sure where the OP got his info on Tonys Corvettes in Gaithersburg MD, but I can say Tonys labor rate is posted at the shop and it is NOT $275. per hour.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Any progress or UP-Date on your issues?

Inquiring minds need to know..

Bill
Old 09-17-2017, 12:41 PM
royal flush
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Any progress or UP-Date on your issues?

Inquiring minds need to know..

Bill
Typical--ask a question--get lots of help--thanks everyone--disappears
Old 09-17-2017, 12:50 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

for $275 PER HOUR,i could tow it to me in Chicago ,fix it,tow it back

the Ferrari dealer in Chicago doesn't charge that much,any regular mech can work on a 2000 corvette,its just a car

Last edited by dmaxx3500; 09-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: SOS: 2 Mechanics cannot figure out what's wrong