C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has any one ever replaced the guts of a 2004 passenger side mirror code aab ddo

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:33 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Default has any one ever replaced the guts of a 2004 passenger side mirror code aab ddo

has any one ever just replaced the internal guts of the passenger side mirror with code AAB DDO the memory mirror with light sensitive heated glass?

the PO broke the glass and the internal pad that moves the mirror. i have a white car and cant seem to find a a white mirror and was wondering if i could just replace the internal motor?

thanks bob
Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
has any one ever just replaced the internal guts of the passenger side mirror with code AAB DDO the memory mirror with light sensitive heated glass?

the PO broke the glass and the internal pad that moves the mirror. i have a white car and cant seem to find a a white mirror and was wondering if i could just replace the internal motor?

thanks bob
You can get any color mirror and have it painted to match your car perfectly...
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

First time I've seen that exact question, but the short answer would be yes. However, I'm not sure you need to replace the motor. The motor probably works but since the backing plate is also broken, it's just not working correctly. If you are sure the motor isn't working, then continue reading. Replacing the plate and mirror isn't too expensive but it's not easy as you have to push the replacement VERY hard to seat the plate. I'll post a link here so you can see what's involved, even though it's not exactly the same issue as yours. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-mirror.html

If you're up to the task, you'd have to remove the mirror and then rebuild the thing. I'm familiar with the process as I suffered from the infamous floppy mirror syndrome on the drivers door and had to repair the broken hinge/spring that holds the mirror tight to the body. While repairing it, I broke the mirror in half and had to order a new mirror glass (found it for $20 shipped). The total cost of the fix was $26 to get my mirror back in shape. I had the memory and heated options as well. You'll have to take the door panel off, unplug the wiring harness to the mirror then unbolt the mirror from the door. From there, you've got to disassemble the mirror and the will probably mean you have to cut some wires (at least they're color coded so easy to reassemble when the time comes (or maybe you can pop the wires out of the harness plug and take notes as to where they all go). Next you'll have to pull the broken mirror and backing plate out and unplug the heating pad, then you can take out the motor. From what I'm seeing from your post though, I'm not sure you need to do all this stuff. You just need a new backing pad and new mirror glass. Mind you, the $20 mirror glass in not the light sensitive ones. If you saw my car, you'd never know it anyway. The heating pad is adhered to the mirror and I simply used a hair dryer to heat it up then slowly peeled it from the broken mirror. I used a little bit of super glue to reattach the heating pad to the mirror then glued the mirror to the back plate with silicon adhesive. If you insist on having the light sensitive mirror, then you'll need to watch For Sale section and grab one when it pops up. They come up very often when parting out cars. Hope this helps in getting you going the direction you want.

Get notified of new replies

To has any one ever replaced the guts of a 2004 passenger side mirror code aab ddo

Quick Reply: has any one ever replaced the guts of a 2004 passenger side mirror code aab ddo