C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Exhaust smell

Hey Guys,

So a couple years ago I bought a set of lg lt headers with the high flow cats used from one of the forum members. Had them installed by Kevin over at libertyville chevy (because they also have a speed shop that many local members recommended).

So I loved the power that it added and the sound, I have them paired to a set of Z06 ti exhaust. Now usually I drive with the top down and not very long trips but I did notice a smell every now and then, definitely an exhaust smell. Didn't pay too much attention at the time.

So this weekend had me driving from Chicago to Carlisle for the Corvettes at Carlisle event. Ran into some rain here and there so with the top up and my window open, the exhaust smell was very very noticeable and it didn't let up. With the top down you catch the smell but not so intense.

I don't think this is normal, I am running hi flow cats. What should I be checking?

Thanks,

Les
Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Thinking just a leak. Get it up on ramps and tighten all clamps etc. Look for black soot at connections. Then run it, get a stethoscope or an inscence stick (anything that creates smoke... I'd recommend a cigarette but I don't recommend smoking ) and wave it around all connections looking for movement.
The​​​​​​se exhausts have a rep for leaking at the midpipe to rear pipe ahead of the axle, good place to check.
The following users liked this post:
ljorges (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

lg makes great headers but the clamps they provide with the kit are not the best... I recommend getting some lap band clamps to replace all of the clamps on the system, some like these http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/33272/10002/-1 ... you should need 6 to do the whole system and it should not leak anymore
ljorges (08-27-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default exhaust smell

Depending how strong the the exhaust smell is the c5 1998 vette that I have has a secondary air pump that does fail but your check engine light would have lit up.. You can get a good wiff seating still with the car button up
Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 PM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

This may or may not help, but I too had what I thought was an exhaust leak. Wouldn't smell it so much when driving but at stop lights and when pulling into the garage, I could smell it. This went on for a while, I'd pop the hood and nothing. My oil pressure has always been extremely good and I did end up seeing a couple of dribbles on my garage floor. When my oil light came on I figured it was time to get serious. So I put her up on jack stands and went underneath. I found my exhaust pipes were wet with oil and my oil sensor was leaking not from the threads, but from the body. After replacing the sensor, all is well. Just giving you another place to look.

Last edited by caddman11; 08-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Several years back, I SEA FOAMED my engine by sucking the liquid into the engine from the PCV connection at the front of the intake manifold passengers side (just rearward of the TB Opening.

After sucking down approx. 1/4 of the can and the engine idling around 2500-3000 RPM, I shut down the engine as it was still sucking fluid and let the fluid sit inside the engine over night.

When you restart the engine,,, MAN, does it smoke.

SO, as it was clearing out the Sea Foam from all the cylinders and fumigating the mosquitos several block down the street, I noticed ALL the small leaks in my exhaust system!

TRUST ME! You will see them ALL!

Give that a try and see if you have a leak that is close to the front of the cabin!

Bill
mre1974 (11-08-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

So an update but not a fix yet.
I took the car to a custom exhaust shop not far from the house. Very well liked and reviewed establishment. So the first thing he asked if I had any check engine lights or codes thrown. There weren't.
He checks it out and he says that the exhaust isn't leaking.

He goes on to say that the smell is coming out of the exhausts themselves. He says it smells like it's running real rich an almost unburnt gas smell. He said that the front o2 sensor was moved to the rear and a simulator Put in front. He went on to Say that high flow cats will never be as good as the stock cats in removing the smell. Even so to him the smell was way worse than it should be.

The car was tuned after the install. Could this be the result of an improper tune? What do you guys think? I can't believe that everyone that gets lt headers and high flow cats have this strong smell.

Les
Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ljorges
So an update but not a fix yet.
I took the car to a custom exhaust shop not far from the house. Very well liked and reviewed establishment. So the first thing he asked if I had any check engine lights or codes thrown. There weren't.
He checks it out and he says that the exhaust isn't leaking.

He goes on to say that the smell is coming out of the exhausts themselves. He says it smells like it's running real rich an almost unburnt gas smell. He said that the front o2 sensor was moved to the rear and a simulator Put in front. He went on to Say that high flow cats will never be as good as the stock cats in removing the smell. Even so to him the smell was way worse than it should be.

The car was tuned after the install. Could this be the result of an improper tune? What do you guys think? I can't believe that everyone that gets lt headers and high flow cats have this strong smell.

Les
I run TSP headers and Magnaflow cats and X into stock Ti's, no discernible smell that I've noticed...
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Unless you have a Speed Density Tune,, YOU MUST have O2 Sensors in the front bungs.. Sims will NOT work.

Figure out how your PCM is tuned and get back to us.

High Flow Cats and a PROPER Tune will get you a pretty clean exhaust smell BUT, Like it was stated, it will never be as clean as OEM CATs
Old 11-04-2017, 06:44 PM
a0papie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 has more of a sulfer smell. Ok when cruising but always bad when under acceleration.
No engine lights, runs smooth? I have a factory exhaust. Are my cats clogged or have bad O2 sensors?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:23 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by a0papie
My 98 has more of a sulfer smell. Ok when cruising but always bad when under acceleration.
No engine lights, runs smooth? I have a factory exhaust. Are my cats clogged or have bad O2 sensors?
My guess would be clogged cats, yep. My factory cats were discolored at 45K miles, so I replaced them (while installing headers) with Magnaflow units.
Do they have any inconsistency in color?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:46 AM
DarthVetter5
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by a0papie
i have the same smell/ issue with mine as well. I was told it was the factory cats are gunked up. I'm dumping them over the winter for some Borla high flows and new cat backs
Old 11-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are several emissions products that can help fix the smell issue. Google CATALITIC CONVERTER CLEANING and see what one you want to try:

Here is an article that may help you understand the issue. CATACLEAN has been around a long time and most likely will help:

https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/cata...erter-cleaner/

When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires?

How do you drive the car? 1= Grand Mother Sunday drive - 10 = Rickey Racer Hard on the throttle and wind her out to 6850 RPMs frequently!

Mileage????

Auto or AUTO??????

LOL!

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 PM
a0papie
Intermediate

Default Stinky exhaust

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There are several emissions products that can help fix the smell issue. Google CATALITIC CONVERTER CLEANING and see what one you want to try:

Here is an article that may help you understand the issue. CATACLEAN has been around a long time and most likely will help:

https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/cata...erter-cleaner/

When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires?

How do you drive the car? 1= Grand Mother Sunday drive - 10 = Rickey Racer Hard on the throttle and wind her out to 6850 RPMs frequently!

Mileage????

Auto or AUTO??????

LOL!

Hope this helps.

Bill
You know, I purchased the car 3 years ago. It had 67k on it. I now have 79k on it. I have been through the long list of things that I believe is your post. It gives a rundown of all the things that mechanically go wrong with the C5. Yep. I have several of these things. I’m not afraid to tackle the repairs.
I should change plugs and wires as I do not know when they were done last. They are new in look and it runs good and plugs look ok but it is a good point.
I did put a Blackwing on it and it does run better but the smell was there before installing it.
My car is an auto, and it is a car that is driven by both me and my wife. Neither of us drive easy. I kept the miles off the first year but love driving it and I take it everywhere when I’m not working.
I have not checked the color of them? What color am I looking for?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Pull out a spark plug wire and plug on each bank and see what the plugs look like. Check the gap and look at the color of the insulators.

OEM plug wires are AC Delco black wires with metal shields on the boots.

If you have OEM origional stuff, its a good idea to get some new plugs and wires. I recommend some new AC Delco Irridium plugs and some GM Performance Red wires.

You can also clean the MAF and Throttle body throttle blade while you are working on it.

BC
Old 11-08-2017, 05:00 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Pull out a spark plug wire and plug on each bank and see what the plugs look like. Check the gap and look at the color of the insulators.

If you have OEM origional stuff, its a good idea to get some new plugs and wires. I recommend some new AC Delco Irridium plugs and some GM Performance Red wires.

You can also clean the MAF and Throttle body throttle blade while you are working on it.

BC
Interesting fact (OK, it is to me...); Iridium is one of the most dense metals.
Steel = 0.28#/cubic inch
Lead = 0.40
Iridium = 0.82
Crazy.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Several years back, I SEA FOAMED my engine by sucking the liquid into the engine from the PCV connection at the front of the intake manifold passengers side (just rearward of the TB Opening.

After sucking down approx. 1/4 of the can and the engine idling around 2500-3000 RPM, I shut down the engine as it was still sucking fluid and let the fluid sit inside the engine over night.

When you restart the engine,,, MAN, does it smoke.

SO, as it was clearing out the Sea Foam from all the cylinders and fumigating the mosquitos several block down the street, I noticed ALL the small leaks in my exhaust system!

TRUST ME! You will see them ALL!

Give that a try and see if you have a leak that is close to the front of the cabin!

Bill
I did the same thing years back in my VW...OMG, what a smoke show it produced! But, it also really did clean out the top end and I was able to find a small exhaust leak so the butthurt neighbors was worth it in my book. I may need to revisit this with my FRC as I've been getting strong exhaust fumes off and on in the cabin this past summer with the AC on both the fresh air draw and re-circulation settings.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust smell

Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 PM
a0papie
Intermediate

Default Exhaust smell

BC
Thank you. It’s probably overdue. From what I recall it is all stock stuff.
I am planning on taking it for the weekend on a road trip. I can do the plugs and wires on Friday Morning, before I leave. I will pick up some car cleaner too.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by grantv
Interesting fact (OK, it is to me...); Iridium is one of the most dense metals.
Steel = 0.28#/cubic inch
Lead = 0.40
Iridium = 0.82
Crazy.
Nothing performance special about Iridium plugs. We use them because they resist wear and last longer than a standard or copper plug.

The ONLY part of the plug thats Iridium is a very small puck fused to the exposed center electrode. Everything else is steel. Sometimes they fuse a rare metal puck to the face of the side electrode.

BOSH says that they use platinium. LOL. I took one apart to see how much platinum one plug had inside.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well,,,, The very end of the center electrode has a very thin wire about 1/8" long and part of that wire is platinum. Wasnt even worth the time to fish it out of the trash to examine it. LOL!!

Bill
Old 11-10-2017, 03:26 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Mine has had an exhaust smell as long as I can remember. I went from an O/R X pipe, to HF cats, and AFAIK, it didn't change the smell. Of course, in my case, I attribute the smell to an aftermarket cam, heads, etc. Maybe it needs to be retuned. but my tuner is 250 miles away.

Quick Reply: Exhaust smell