C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of accel/decel pitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
so then the 04 shocks are softer than the ones i mentioned?
No, with shocks you have to take the effect of the compression and rebound valving. With non-adjustable shocks it becomes part of the equation of tires, spring rates and shocks. If I were a boulevard driver and wanted some occasional spirited driving I would get the 06Z or JOC shocks, If I was a dedicated HPDE fan and I would have either the 04Z or DRM shocks, for autocrossing the 04Z shocks would be best. When you start changing springs, sway bars, etc, and I was looking for top notch handling, then I would opt for the single or double adjustable shocks like Koni, Penske, etc. Define what is you goal and then set it up accordingly. For the OP, the setup he is suggesting is fine, if he wanted slightly more agressive he has options.

Regarding the 06Z shocks, they were designed to work best with the stiffer springs and larger front sway bar than the stock ones.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:20 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Well crud, just called my friend at the dealership and he says the fronts (10339944) are discontinued. I even gave him a vin# to a 2004 Z06 so he could cross reference and no luck. The rears (10339945) are still available ($174.49 each) but without matching fronts, that's kind of pointless.

I'm not big on buying used shocks (unless they are super low miles), so I guess I'll be doing aftermarket.

Bilstein Sports or something better? I'm buying a pair of C5 Z06 springs from a forum member, so that's what these shocks needs to work with.
Just get yourself some Viking dual adjustable coilovers and all your issues will magically disappear. You can dial them in the way you want them, from Cadillac soft to super stiff and you have complete control over both directions. A bit more pricey but gotta pay if you want the very best.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

OKAY....IF I were to go coilovers (rather than Z06 springs and shocks), how do these different coilovers compare:

- Viking dual adjustable
- Alden American

$1200 is about the MAX I can reasonably put towards coilovers, but I'm at ~$700 between used Z06 springs and new shocks so I'm at least going to consider it before I put out money.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:13 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

I have the Vikings, one of the best mods I've done on my car. Having the ability to adjust the ride for street, strip or track is great and only takes a few minutes. They're just slightly more than $1200 but worth every penny. Not familiar with the Alden units. I do know the Vikings are USA products, made in Minnesota. I'll take some pics when I get home if you'd like to see them. Oh, and with coilovers, you remove the leaf springs, so some weight savings as well.
The following users liked this post:
ChrisLSx (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:16 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
I have the Vikings, one of the best mods I've done on my car. Having the ability to adjust the ride for street, strip or track is great and only takes a few minutes. They're just slightly more than $1200 but worth every penny. Not familiar with the Alden units. I do know the Vikings are USA products, made in Minnesota. I'll take some pics when I get home if you'd like to see them. Oh, and with coilovers, you remove the leaf springs, so some weight savings as well.
I'd never heard of either of these companies before today, but after searching around on here people see very happy with both. One guy was even saying he planned to dump his LG G2 coilovers (which seems NUTS to me....) for Vikings

Quick Reply: Get rid of accel/decel pitch