C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing Spinning Rear Cradle Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 PM
RocketRod
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Repairing Spinning Rear Cradle Bolt

I was trying to install my Hoosier transmission mount tonight, but when I tried to loosen the rear cradle bolt on the front of the passenger side it just spins. I was able to loosen it by using a set of vice grips, holding the bolt while I turned the nut with a box end wrench (not fun). This should allow me to get the mount in.

I searched the forum and I understand there is a retainer inside the frame (awesome design) that needs to be replaced, but what is the correct way to fix this? Do I go in through frame from underneath the car, or do I come in from the top? What is the part number for the retainer? Any help/pics would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Look under the hood at the top of the crossmember bolts on the front of your car. The rear is the same. You likely have to cut a hole in the trunk to reach it.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

This frequently happens with air tools are used on the cradle nuts. Service manual is very specific on warning against the use of air tools. The head of the bolt has a retainer riveted to the frame. As stated above, you can see what it looks like in the front but the rear has not access without cutting a hole.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 AM
RocketRod
Racer

Originally Posted by vettenuts
This frequently happens with air tools are used on the cradle nuts. Service manual is very specific on warning against the use of air tools...
I understand. I only used a rachet on it. This appears to have been done when the trans/diff were upgraded and reinstalled.

...The head of the bolt has a retainer riveted to the frame. As stated above, you can see what it looks like in the front but the rear has not access without cutting a hole.
Any insight on an approximate location of where to cut the hole?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Pull out the carpet in the trunk. Drop a plumb bob from the both bolts on the same side, to the ground. Draw a line thru the 2 marks and far enough to the rear to clear the rear fascia.

Rig a board so you can drop the plumb bob from the back of the car. have the bob touch your line.

Now you can set a straight-edge parallel with the line and pick up a reference line back into the trunk. I don't recall any markings in the trunk of my FRC when I had to do this. You can make a pretty good sized hole, but BE CAREFUL of harness wires and brake lines with any cuts in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
RocketRod (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 PM
RocketRod
Racer

Originally Posted by k24556
Pull out the carpet in the trunk. Drop a plumb bob from the both bolts on the same side, to the ground. Draw a line thru the 2 marks and far enough to the rear to clear the rear fascia.

Rig a board so you can drop the plumb bob from the back of the car. have the bob touch your line.

Now you can set a straight-edge parallel with the line and pick up a reference line back into the trunk. I don't recall any markings in the trunk of my FRC when I had to do this. You can make a pretty good sized hole, but BE CAREFUL of harness wires and brake lines with any cuts in the trunk.
Thanks. A simple but effective solution.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

This seems to happen to a lot of guys, if you can shoot some photos as you do this it might be helpful to others.

Concur on prior owner, I have seen shops use air on the cradle nuts so you never know unfortunately.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 PM
RocketRod
Racer

This seems to happen to a lot of guys, if you can shoot some photos as you do this it might be helpful to others.

Concur on prior owner, I have seen shops use air on the cradle nuts so you never know unfortunately.
Will do.

I was able to get the Hoosier trans mount in without lower the cradle, or should I say with all the cradle bolts loosened it would go down and I got it in anyways. For now I will just use the vice grips and torque the bolt by feel, but this will be on my list of things to fix this winter.

Get notified of new replies

To Repairing Spinning Rear Cradle Bolt

Quick Reply: Repairing Spinning Rear Cradle Bolt