C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition tumbler

Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default Ignition tumbler

Tried this in gen, figured I'd try it here also. If it's ok with the mods. I'm getting code b2723 and it wasn't wanting to crank, now the key won't even turn over. Any way to rebuild or temporarily fix this? Or anyone know the part number for a 01 manual.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:48 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by 001pewter
Tried this in gen, figured I'd try it here also. If it's ok with the mods. I'm getting code b2723 and it wasn't wanting to crank, now the key won't even turn over. Any way to rebuild or temporarily fix this? Or anyone know the part number for a 01 manual.
Try you're spare key. I also posted a link to another thread on you're other thread in C5 General where 8Vette7 gave good advice on the issue.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by AE Guy
Try you're spare key. I also posted a link to another thread on you're other thread in C5 General where 8Vette7 gave good advice on the issue.
Thanks, I've taken the ignition out and one of the prongs the vats chip slides on was bent all outta place. It's straighter now. Gotta rewire a cut wire and hopefully that was my problem and not the tumblers.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 PM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

That didn't fix it, key still won't turn. But it does recognize the keys there
Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Since you have it out (had it out), just take the whole thing plus your key to a locksmith and have them rebuild the thing. My tumblers were so worn out, I could take the key out with the car running! I pulled my ignition switch out, did the Bill Curlee ignition switch repair mod and took the locking mechanism to the locksmith. She (yes a female) rebuilt the whole thing with new tumblers and cut me a new key for a mere $20. Worth every penny!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 AM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Since you have it out (had it out), just take the whole thing plus your key to a locksmith and have them rebuild the thing. My tumblers were so worn out, I could take the key out with the car running! I pulled my ignition switch out, did the Bill Curlee ignition switch repair mod and took the locking mechanism to the locksmith. She (yes a female) rebuilt the whole thing with new tumblers and cut me a new key for a mere $20. Worth every penny!
I read one of your old post about that. I'm gonna check around here and hopefully can find someone to do the same for $20.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

When i first bought my first vette, when i got home i turned the engine off, then i tried to start the car, the key would not start it, i had this problem for a week and a half, it was getting worse. So i got so tired of that crap, took it to local chevy dealership, they had to replace the ignition cylinder. The old cylinder was chewed up inside, thats why it wouldn't start, it was a stinking headache, got my dream car then had to pay $400 After a week of having it. Where i bought the car, i bet them A-HOLES knew about that. And of course it didn't show any problems.... Wonderful!! Have had the car, three yrs this upcoming may. Hope you get your car fixed soon.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:49 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 772 Posts

Had a similar problem. Wiped the key, jiggled it, and it started. Got the car home. Sprayed the lock cylinder with cleaner stuff. No further problems for 3 years. Now wipe the key and spray the cylinder every 4 months. Just another DIY fix on the anomalies with the C5.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 PM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
When i first bought my first vette, when i got home i turned the engine off, then i tried to start the car, the key would not start it, i had this problem for a week and a half, it was getting worse. So i got so tired of that crap, took it to local chevy dealership, they had to replace the ignition cylinder. The old cylinder was chewed up inside, thats why it wouldn't start, it was a stinking headache, got my dream car then had to pay $400 After a week of having it. Where i bought the car, i bet them A-HOLES knew about that. And of course it didn't show any problems.... Wonderful!! Have had the car, three yrs this upcoming may. Hope you get your car fixed soon.
I may have to go that route. Don't wanna get hosed by a dealer though.

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Had a similar problem. Wiped the key, jiggled it, and it started. Got the car home. Sprayed the lock cylinder with cleaner stuff. No further problems for 3 years. Now wipe the key and spray the cylinder every 4 months. Just another DIY fix on the anomalies with the C5.
Trying that now not really working, but thanks for the tip.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:12 PM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Anyone know How to get the tumbler assembly out? If I've read a old post right, turn the key while pressing the tab and it should slide out? Mines not turning or sliding

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition tumbler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition tumbler