C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What caused high pressure in my fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 PM
volintn
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What caused high pressure in my fuel tank

1998 coupe, 70,000 miles. On a road trip Friday, I pulled over and I could smell gas near the left rear wheel well. No gas visibly dripping. Had about 3/4 tank of gas at the time. I took the gas cap off and fuel spewed out for about 10 or 15 seconds. Car was running great before and after this event. What is wrong? Anybody else had this happen?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:55 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Did you overfill on last fill-up? Any codes come up when you check them, such as EVAP vent valve?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:12 AM
volintn
7th Gear

Default reply

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Did you overfill on last fill-up? Any codes come up when you check them, such as EVAP vent valve?
I checked codes when I got back home and there were none. I did not fill past the auto cutoff at the pump. I probably drove 90 miles after the fill up before I had the incident.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by volintn
I checked codes when I got back home and there were none. I did not fill past the auto cutoff at the pump. I probably drove 90 miles after the fill up before I had the incident.
sounds like it has to be a venting issue.
The following users liked this post:
volintn (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Black hawk racing
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default High pressure in fuel tank

[QUOTE=volintn;1595774515]I checked codes when I got back home and there were none. I did not fill past the auto cutoff at the pump. I probably drove 90 miles after the fill up before I had the incident.[/QUOTE

add second fuel filter at fuel pump and it will fix the high fuel pressure in tank. If persist after. change all the fuel filters and make sure there’s not a blockage in the fuel return hose to the tank.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black hawk racing:
OregonDan (01-19-2020), volintn (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM
volintn
7th Gear

[QUOTE=Black hawk racing;1597725612]
Originally Posted by volintn
I checked codes when I got back home and there were none. I did not fill past the auto cutoff at the pump. I probably drove 90 miles after the fill up before I had the incident.[/QUOTE

add second fuel filter at fuel pump and it will fix the high fuel pressure in tank. If persist after. change all the fuel filters and make sure there’s not a blockage in the fuel return hose to the tank.
I changed the fuel filter, dropped the tanks, checked all the lines and changed a fuel pressure valve/ switch on the engine and the problem has not happened again. I am not sure exactly where the problem was, but it seems to be gone. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:22 AM
cinor
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default fuel system

I am also having issues with my fuel system but of course does not follow same pattern as the discussion, I am convince it is a venting problem but just haven't figured it out yet. It only throws codes when I let tank fill and the nozzle clicks off ,(cleared codes cause it puts me into limp mode and I didn't write them down duh). If I fill tank till it just hits the full mark there are no issues, fuel gauge works well and is accurate. Once the fuel gets down just that little bit till it hits full it will be good again. any ideas
Old 01-19-2020, 09:19 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Check the codes and post them when it happens and can you start a new thread with this issue ??

Last edited by C5 Diag; 01-19-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What caused high pressure in my fuel tank

Quick Reply: What caused high pressure in my fuel tank