C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! no rear lights! back half of the car dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
nate1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! no rear lights! back half of the car dead

so i have a 2003 zo6/6speed and i have no brake lights or reverse lights. i did a search and found some people were having issues with the hazard switch, but those guys said that the led brake light would still work, mine on the other hand does not work. also the reverse lights wont come on when i shift into reverse. to further confuse the situation, the turn signals and hazards do work in the rear. any thoughts?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:40 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by nate1
so i have a 2003 zo6/6speed and i have no brake lights or reverse lights. i did a search and found some people were having issues with the hazard switch, but those guys said that the led brake light would still work, mine on the other hand does not work. also the reverse lights wont come on when i shift into reverse. to further confuse the situation, the turn signals and hazards do work in the rear. any thoughts?
Did you replace regular bulbs with LEDs at any point prior to this issue?

Last edited by FX VETTE; 10-17-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 PM
nate1
Heel & Toe

nope, i have not touched it. but the other day, i went to start it and the battery was dead so, i did put it on a charger and after a little while tried to start it, with the charger still on but, it just clicked a few times so i let it charge over night and the battery has been fine since.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Just behind the passenger side rear wheel on the frame is an electrical connector for the tail light harness. Check the connector for damaged wires or pins.

Had a friends FRC have a bad ground wire within the connector that caused all sorts of issues. Took a bit to find it.

Gary
Old 10-20-2017, 05:48 PM
nate1
Heel & Toe

i checked them they looked fine to me. any other ideas?
Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

i checked them they looked fine to me. any other ideas?
Did you unplug the connector? The damage was not visible from the outside on my friends FRC. There can be other points along the harness where there may be damage.

Rereading your symptoms, I am going to say you have 2 issues.
1. brake lights
2. reverse lights.

The switch that engages the reverse lights is on the transmission (don't remember which one it is at the moment) and is know as a failure point.

I am looking at the manuals for the brake lights. I will post info on that later.

Gary
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 PM
HWYZ71
8th Gear

Default Rear lights DOA

the same thing happened to me recently....I just purchased an 02 rag top and it had no hazards or turn signals. Replaced the hazard switch and I got turn signals and no hazards. Then noticed no running or brake lights. Well....during this whole ordeal a fuse was blown and not replaced. I know it sounds stupid.....but check your fuses. Also check your brake light switch.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Last time I saw this issue, it was a defective steering column multifunction switch..

Give that a look see!!

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! no rear lights! back half of the car dead

Quick Reply: HELP!!! no rear lights! back half of the car dead