C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling message

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:45 AM
dannyzabolotny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Service Active Handling message

Earlier today I got a "Service Active Handling" message on the cluster display in the 1998 Coupe. I can't pull any trouble codes though, because my DIC buttons don't work at all. Are there any alternative ways to diagnose this?

I wonder if this is the infamous EBCM issue... my Corvette has 187,000 miles on what appear to be the original parts. It was fine when I bought the car but I've done a lot of burnouts since then.

The Active Handling error doesn't bother me as much as the fact that I can't do a burnout with the system acting up. I'm almost tempted to just remove the module entirely, pull the light bulb from the AH error light, and put black electrical tape over the cluster display. If the module is bad there's no way I'm spending money replacing it, since that's like 1/4 the cost of what I paid for this Corvette.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:08 PM
dannyzabolotny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There are over 2 dozen different codes that can cause the AH light to illuminate and some are as simple as a bad connection at a wheel speed sensor or others could be that the EBCM took a dump.

If the DIC buttons don't work then you need to find someone with a Tech II tool to be able to see the codes. Simple hand held code readers like those used by the local parts stores can only see standardized emissions codes and NOT the many hundreds of vehicle specific codes that the C5 can set. Possibly a Corvette specialty shop might have a professional code reader with a C5 specific module capable of reading the C5 vehicle specific codes.

Without knowing what codes you stand little chance of knowing what is happening much less fixing what might possibly be a simple problem.
Thanks for the reply! I was definitely overreacting a bit last night, haha.

This morning the light wasn't on, so it appears to be an intermittent error. I definitely need to get my DIC working, since I also have a tire sensor error that I need to figure out. And I also need the DIC working to get a new keyless entry remote working. There's lots of stuff tied into the DIC, so it's especially annoying when the DIC doesn't work.

I guess tonight I'll remove the IPC and see if I can figure out why the DIC doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling message