C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide between 2 cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Help me decide between 2 cams

I need some help deciding between what I think is the last of the list of cams I've been debating installing. Cam will go into my '99 Hardtop with ~200k miles on the clock with the following supporting mods:
- modified stock air box with K&N drop in filter
-breathless racing high flow air bridge
-ported ls1 throttle body
-ported ls6 intake manifold
-breathless racing stepped long tube headers (no cats) through SLP Loudmouth axle backs.
6-speed manual that will have 4.10 gears added in the future

Will be replacing timing chain with a C5R chain and adding a ported melling oil pump.

Stock heads will be removed and replaced with a set of ported and matched 853 casting heads that have also been milled 0.038 (~11:1 compression ratio with OEM head gaskets) that have been refreshed and have a set of new PAC1218 springs with Ti retainers installed. Will also be using 7.4 hardened push rods and set of LS7 roller lifters.

Cams I have narrowed it down to are the following:

Cam 1:
Thunder Racing 224r 112 lsa cam specs (224/224, .563/.563 on 112 +4 lsa)
--I already own this cam, it is a low mileage removed cam because owner went bigger and FI, second guessing if this is the cam for me
--Tried and true cam, well known performer, slight chop and idle, good gains under the curve, fairly easy on valve train

Cam 2:
BTR Stage 4 Truck Cam specs (224/230, .553/.547 on 111 +2 lsa)
-- do not own, choppy and mean idle, should be fairly easy on valve train
-- moderate gains across the power band with good low end and mid range power and torque gains

End goal is to have more power and noise (obviously), long valve train life/easy on valve springs, semi daily-drivable, plenty of spirited driving, not alot of high RPM for extended periods (won't see track time in the foreseeable future).

I like the sound of the old school hot rod choppy idle which the BTR truck cam certainly has. But I want good driving manners (well, for a cam) but plenty of added umph for when I lay into it.

Hoping those of you that know cams would be able to help with pros and cons of the two cams above. Other than the choppy idle that the BTR truck cam has which I really am drawn to are there any other benefits of that cam over the TR224r?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Sell the TR224 and buy the other cam
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Both of those choices are too small for your mods, especially if you plan on 4:10s. Street friendly, and has a nice lope... something around 230-236@112+5 and .600 lift would be my recommend (NA) but there are lots of cam customizers out there you could talk to. I think BTR is one of them, but that truck cam is called a truck cam for a reason.

PS You're gonna need a clutch soon, assuming stock.

Last edited by zeevette; 11-14-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:15 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Both of those choices are too small for your mods, especially if you plan on 4:10s. Street friendly, and has a nice lope... something around 230-236@112+5 and .600 lift would be my recommend (NA) but there are lots of cam customizers out there you could talk to. I think BTR is one of them, but that truck cam is called a truck cam for a reason.
Nothing wrong with either of those cams and 4.10s. 15 years ago I ran a TR224 in an F-body with a T56 and 4.10s. Back then, 230/224 was considered BIG.

Street friendly is entirely subjective. To me, solid motor plates and spherical bearing suspension is entirely street/daily driver friendly. By contrast, many people complain about the minor increase in noise/vibration from poly and think only rubber is street/daily driver friendly. Same with cams. Some people think street friendly is a buttery smooth 800RPM idle while others think an almost won’t idle at 1100RPM solid roller is “streetable”.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide between 2 cams

Quick Reply: Help me decide between 2 cams