C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking a gift horse in the mouth???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:50 PM
dsmith1279
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking a gift horse in the mouth???

OK, so I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I need some advice from this group as to the root cause of my apparent/potential/hopeful transient issue.

What I've got:
2004 Coupe bought modifed by MTI in Houston about 6 years ago. Standard transmission. Supercharged via Magnacharger MP112 at 6-7lbs. Unsure if there was a modified cam installed. Dynatech headers. Fully Corsa exhaust. Alky Control Meth injection. MSD Fuel pump voltage booster. Approx 39K miles. It does have some oil consumption. When I say "some" I mean that I will have to add a quart between oil changes with "spirited driving". The tune is fat and when go to WOT it does leave a bit of a haze behind. Since there isn't a pool under the car it's obviously a mix of fuel, rubber and oil.

I went out to a track with a local car club. Had a great morning. It was the hardest the ole girl has been driven since I've owned her. I brought her in for one cool down and all was well. Went back out for round two. This was a bit of a harder run. She did most excellent and came in for a second cool down. The cool down was approx 20 min in duration. We went out a third time. The beginning warm up pass was uneventful. As the pace began to pick up and I got into boost it looked like a "Jame Bond Smoke Screen" was coming out of the back of my car. Frankly I've never been good at telling the white from a "blue" cloud. All I know is that it was NOT normal. When not in boost it went away. I'd hit it into boost on and off and it would appear on demand. So, I pulled over and headed home. Frankly it was embarrassing as hell. Literally when hitting the throttle was like hitting a "smoke" button.

The oil pressure was good. Temps were low, <200, and voltage was right on the money. All I wanted to do was get back to my shop.

On the drive home there were a few weird noises coming from the drivers front that were not dependent on brakes being applied or engine RPM, but when stopped at a light they'd go away. After about 15 minutes it completely went away.

The drive home was 30 miles. Again, totally uneventful. On the last leg I got into boost and it was the standard "cloud" not the "James Bond" cloud. I did this a few times and it provided the same result.

Today I checked the Maggy intercooler fluid volume and engine coolant volume. All were solid but engine oil was low. So obviously I was burning oil. So with this I took her out and got into the boost and again.... nothing but the standard "cloud". Not the "James Bond" cloud. I did this multiple times with same result.

So what are your thoughts, besides "thank the beneficent engine gods"? I'm leaning towards a rare piston ring gap alignment, post spirited driving, that needed a bit of time to realign to handle the boost. Its never happened before. Maybe she has the spirit of a drama queen and only waits until others (IE Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche and BMWs) are around prior to throwing a fit.

What do you, the Corvette braintrust say?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM
vipmiller803
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of catch can/breather/pcv are you running?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you have an intercooler, see if it has OIL in the bottom. If it has a drain plug, remove it and see if any comes out.

I agree,, a good catch can is MANDO!

BC
Old 12-06-2017, 06:26 PM
dsmith1279
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

👍. Ugh. Not sure why I didn’t think of that. I don’t have a catch can on my setup currently.

Thatll change this weekend!

Again the Brain Trust provides!
Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith1279
Frankly I've never been good at telling the white from a "blue" cloud.
Oil smoke, to my eyes, is white. Maybe if I punch myself in the eyes and squint really hard I can make it look blue. To me it's easier to pay attention to how the cloud moves and dissipates to tell oil smoke from water vapor. The latter will tend to disappear more quickly and discretely than oil smoke which will linger and trail off gradually.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:41 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

white smoke makes me think of water contamination getting into the combustion chamber or exhaust...did it have any antifreeze smell to it?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking a gift horse in the mouth???

Quick Reply: Looking a gift horse in the mouth???