C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Andarwa
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5 clutch replacement

I bought a C5 with 68k on it. The clutch was just a tad stiffer than what I had been driving my whole life and of no consequence. The master and slave for the clutch had to be replaced and the guy said he might as well do the clutch while he was there.

I pick it up and the clutch pedal is stiff as hell. I am told that's normal for a new clutch. The pressure did taper off over the first 500 miles but has not changed since. Using some sort of scale like 1-10 for effort, the original clutch was a 1 compared to past experience in Japanese and European cars which would be a 0. When I picked it up it was a 10, for the last 4500 miles it's been a 5.

I have been told things like the C5 has more power and therefore a stiffer clutch and mine was worn out which is why it was so easy.

I have been through 3 clutch changes on other cars over the last 35 years and while it was a tad stiffer at first the effort returned to normal within the first 500-1000 miles. Last one was on a 92 Dodge Stealth and it felt pretty much the same the day I got it back.

What I do know about this repair is it wasn't new Corvette parts. The master and slave were rebuilt and the clutch was a comparable aftermarket.

While that car has been totaled recently I am very concerned about getting another manual Vette because of this. Drove my son's BMW Z4 recently and by comparison the clutch pedal felt like I was pushing on an airy pillow.

Was there something wrong about this repair, or stiff is what you get and the guy is right that the springs on the original clutch weakened over time?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

LOL you should try a car with a mechanical clutch sometime!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

It certainly shouldn't be that stiff, especially if it's the stock OEM replacement. A couple questions:

1. What mods are done to your car?

2. What kind of clutch did you use?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:19 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Rebuilt master and slave? I didn't realize they even made the parts to "rebuild" these items any more. This isn't a '50s British sports car. I can't image what was being used. I think that is where the problem lies.

You should head out to your local used Corvette dealer and take a few out for test drive. The normal stock clutch feels like it belongs in a Civic but it can handle 450hp!

Might want to check in with a different mechanic too.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 clutch replacement

Quick Reply: C5 clutch replacement