Z06 Stops running shortly after warming up a bit - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Stops running shortly after warming up a bit

Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
JLZ06TR
CF Senior Member

Default Z06 Stops running shortly after warming up a bit

I have been struggling with this issue for a while now. My 2002 Z06 starts up fine and runs for a while. When temps get around 150 or so it will suddenly stop running. Particularly it will read 0 rpm and stop running. Sometimes it takes a few seconds or a minute after this happens till I can crank it up again. Once I do it will run fine pretty much indefinitely until I let it sit again, completely cool down and it will happen again the next time I start it.

I thought it has to do something with it transitioning from open loop to close loop, but I am not sure how to verify this. Also I replaced the crank positioning sensor since I got a code saying that it was having slow response. While I was in there I noticed that the wires going to the crank shaft sensor were in bad shape because of my long tubes so I repaired that too. I thought all of that would do the trick but it did not. I will add though to prevent future damage to these wires i zip tied them to a ground that goes to the block. Not sure if there is enough "noise" there to mess with the Crank position sensor signal but I would think if it were an issue, it wouldn't run at all. Anyways When it shuts off suddenly like that, if i run the codes right after it happens I get P1637H.

I'd appreciate any help with this. Car is starting to feel dangerous to take out because having it suddenly shut off in traffic is not fun.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I haven't done a crank relearn with the new sensor so Ill do that and see if it helps. Also not sure if it matters but when the car is off, the DIC reads around 11.7V but when its running it reads 13.8-14.1V. Also my horn does not work.

Last edited by JLZ06TR; 12-07-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more info.
JLZ06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Tulsaeasyrider
CF Senior Member

My 2002 is a convertible and not a Z06, but it had some similar problems. Just got it back yesterday with a rebuilt (there are no new ones) GM computer module (about $900) as well as a new ignition switch (about $200). You might consider these as you investigate further. It may be unrelated to your problem, but the above fix seems to have eliminated the difficulty I had in starting/restarting and the various codes it was throwing.
Tulsaeasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
JLZ06TR
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsaeasyrider View Post
My 2002 is a convertible and not a Z06, but it had some similar problems. Just got it back yesterday with a rebuilt (there are no new ones) GM computer module (about $900) as well as a new ignition switch (about $200). You might consider these as you investigate further. It may be unrelated to your problem, but the above fix seems to have eliminated the difficulty I had in starting/restarting and the various codes it was throwing.
Yeah looking into P1637 that seems to be one course of action. I wanna try a couple other things first before replacing the PCM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
JLZ06TR
CF Senior Member

I decided to run the codes and this is what I found:

PCM:
P1637H

TCS
U1016H

SDM:
B0026HC
U1016H

LDCM:
B2282H
B2284H
B2264H
U1064H
U1016H

RDCM:
B2283H
B2285H
B2265H
U1064H
U1016H

BO-RFA:
U1000H
U1016H

I cleared them and drove around a bit and all the RDCM and LDCM codes cam back. PCM code did not.

Can anyone give me some insight?
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Z06 Stops running shortly after warming up a bit
  •