C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers started on their own and won't stop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:01 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Wipers started on their own and won't stop.

And other wonky behavior.

Long story long on Monday I left work on what was to be the last drive of the season before winter storage. When I got in the seat belt would not extend so that it could be buckled. That was annoying, new, and odd. after trying for several minutes I gave up and headed down the street to the car wash. When done washing the seat belt worked fine again. I turned on the wipers for a few seconds and then drove off. Everything was fine for the 15 minute ride home, except a few blocks from home the wipers came on, despite the switch being in the off position, and now they won't stop.

It's cold af in my garage so I haven't messed with it yet other than pulling the wiper fuse. I plan to put a heater in soon so that will resolve that issue. My initial thought is that the switch has gone bad. It seems odd that the failure would cause them to stay on all the time, but as wonky as this car acts maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Have any of you had this issue? Is it the switch or something else? Seems that there can't be much else to the system.

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

Here is a link to start with, found under "wipers running"-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shut-off.html
Old 12-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Proletariat designs
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine does that some times after I wash it or get caught in a downpour. For me it's a small amount of moisture getting in the wiper motor. This causes them to continually run. Let it dry out and replace the fuse. Will probably go to the home position like they should. If that's not the issue the spray button may be stuck in and causing the wipers to run. Try those and see if that causes them to turn off.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:48 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Revisiting this....

After sitting for two months in a heated garage I finally pulled the wiper motor and took it apart. Everything is bone dry. I resealed it and reassembled. Put the fuse back in and turned on the key. Wipers still run constantly. Squirter button definitely isn't sticking. I'm ordering a wiper stalk in a moment. We'll see if that helps...
Old 03-04-2018, 08:11 PM
jim993
Drifting

Thanks for the update.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 PM
fmvette9
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a similar issue. I popped off the squirter button, and used small strips of paper to insulate the two sets of contacts. That was the temporary fix. Note: the squirter button was not sticking and it was not obvious the button was the issue. I bought a used stalk, but replaced just the button. It was not obvious from inspection why the original button was defective.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:58 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by oneandgone
Revisiting this....

After sitting for two months in a heated garage I finally pulled the wiper motor and took it apart. Everything is bone dry. I resealed it and reassembled. Put the fuse back in and turned on the key. Wipers still run constantly. Squirter button definitely isn't sticking. I'm ordering a wiper stalk in a moment. We'll see if that helps...
When mine did this it was a bad pulse board on the wiper motor. It can be purchased separately much cheaper than the whole motor assembly.
The following users liked this post:
oneandgone (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:14 AM
fmvette9
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

A first step might be to unplug the stalk harness connector. If that cures the issue, it's in the stalk. If not, it points to the wiper board.
The following users liked this post:
oneandgone (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Great ideas guys, thank you! So simple I don't know why I hadn't considered it. lol
Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Fixed! As suggested earlier in this thread by fmvette9, as soon as the old switch was unplugged they parked. Installed a used switch and they work like they should.

Thanks for the help and input fellas!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 PM
jim993
Drifting

Again, thanks for telling us the solution.

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers started on their own and won't stop.

Quick Reply: Wipers started on their own and won't stop.