C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 convertible top leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:56 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 98 convertible top leak

Hello members i got a leak that i can find where it is starting from. The drip starts in this corner then drips on the seat which goes behind the seat. Here is a picture of location. Water drips around screw area
Old 12-10-2017, 05:44 PM
WillItFloat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had this problem and I think a lot of people have. I am not sure I have the solution because I only drive the car in the rain when on long trips and I don't have a choice. The last time was May, 2017. There are two things I tried then that may have worked. One was to always lower the car window a few inches, close the door then raise it all the way back up. The other was to always have positive pressure in the cockpit. In other words keep the climate control on the outside air setting. I am curious to hear if you think either of these help.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Really thinking about getting all seal redone. Getting tired of the drips. It is the only thing wrong with car and just on that side.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:25 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Going to take it to a top shop here in Round Rock. They said can either give quick estimate or take time to find root cause. Going to have them do full check since free. Will post back with any results.
The following users liked this post:
foggy (12-12-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdano
Hello members i got a leak that i can find where it is starting from. The drip starts in this corner then drips on the seat which goes behind the seat. Here is a picture of location. Water drips around screw area
I have spent a lot of time trying to get this thing adjusted out on driver side of my C5. The thing is just really fiddly. I have the door panel off right now, and thought I had it fixed. Then had to leave the car outside for a few nights and it still leaked when we had a bit of rain. Some people have mentioned putting a shim (like a thin piece of old credit card between the convertible frame and gasket).
Still looking for the last word on how to fix it.
Hope that you get a solution.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:14 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Going to take it to a top shop here in Round Rock. They said can either give quick estimate or take time to find root cause. Going to have them do full check since free. Will post back with any results.
Pretty sure it's from the old weather stripping. My Vert leaked on the front drivers corner pretty bad, so Swapped tops "Used" but with better condition on the weather strips.

Made a difference.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 PM
sirdano
Drifting

So went last week to top repair. And still no quote for repair. He thought it need the seal replaced and possible top.

So I order that short piece in the picture.
Wow $100.00 . I assume it is on screw and some kind of sealer to reinstall. Order from Mid America motorworks. Will update after installed and if leak is gone
Old 12-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

So I order that short piece in the picture.
Wow $100.00 .
\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Doesn't really sound expensive if you think about Porsche and BMW parts prices. If it doesn't solve the problem - well, then it may qualify as "expensive".
Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Last edited by Sam Handwich; 12-17-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Was quoted $1300.00 for complete top replacement. That includes parts and labor. Is this the normal rate for a replacement
Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Was quoted $1300.00 for complete top replacement. That includes parts and labor. Is this the normal rate for a replacement
That sounds normal-ish from what I have seen on this forum and have been quoted, etc.
There are some people who have said it is easy to do, and they have posted up pictures and a step-by-step. And there are some people who sort of say, "I may be stoopid, but there is no way I am going to take that job on by myself."
I have done business in the past with a very highly-regarded used Corvettes-only shop (sales and service) at which the owner-founder is a former NCRS judge - said owner told me that replacing tops is a craft and he recommends that one go to a real pro.
Hope that helps -

Get notified of new replies

To 98 convertible top leak

Quick Reply: 98 convertible top leak