C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I just pull the fuse & disarm ABS ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:00 PM
C908
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Can I just pull the fuse & disarm ABS ?

I'm getting a C1226 code ( RF excessive wheel speed variation.) If I don't want to try and chase the problem down can I just pull the fuse and disarm the ABS ? By pulling the fuse will I stop getting the service ABS read out on the dash ? I use to drive a 68 Camaro SS that put out over 500 HP didn't have ABS on that car and never had a problem.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

More than likely you have one of two issues. One is the harness connecting the wheel bearing to the ABS module is loose or shorted out. The other less common issue is the wheel bearing itself is bad or one of the torx screws has become loose. There are other, less common problems also but these are the ones I would check. Google the dtc for c5 Corvettes and you will all the possible problems.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 PM
C908
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There are numerous ways to disable ABS. But doing so will CAUSE the ABS light as well as the TC light and the AH light (if your your car is equipped with RPO JL4) to come ON and remain illuminated on the dash. Additionally there will one or more DTC's that will get set depending on how you disable ABS.

The only way to get the light(s) to go out if ABS is disabled is to remove the respective bulbs from the instrument cluster. There are no methods that I am aware of to get rid of the DTC's that will be set when ABS is disabled.
Thanks for the explanation, my intent was to get rid of the lights on the dash.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:40 PM
C908
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gordy M
More than likely you have one of two issues. One is the harness connecting the wheel bearing to the ABS module is loose or shorted out. The other less common issue is the wheel bearing itself is bad or one of the torx screws has become loose. There are other, less common problems also but these are the ones I would check. Google the dtc for c5 Corvettes and you will all the possible problems.
I got under the car this morning and checked the connector at the wheel. Everything looked good, no corrosion and it seemed to be tight. I have an appointment with the local Chevy dealer to look at it, hopefully they won't gouge me to bad.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:35 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The harness to the wheels is a jumper. There is another connector at the frame too. You check it too. Make sure the terminals aren't spread open. The connectors have a tab that should be in the the cavity that the male tab pushes out of the way a little as it plugs in.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

You don't need to pull the fuse to disable the ABS. The code you have disables the ABS. Pulling the fuse just changes the code to a no communication code that has the same result. A waste of time and effort pulling the fuse even if it only takes 1 second.

Bill
Old 01-17-2018, 03:18 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I get this code every couple of years. This year I finally broke down and bought a new jumper wire. Guess what? It wasn't the jumper. It was the connector on the wire harness that connected to the jumper.

Anyway. Back to your problem. Here is the fix I used for years.

Pull the jumper wire from the left side of the car and switch it with the one from the right side. Put the old right side wire on the left side.

Go for a ride. It usually fixes the error for a year or two. Then do it again.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

You know it isn't that hard to check the hub to see if it needs to be changed. Jack the right front of the car far enough to lift the wheel off the ground so you can get your hand under the wheel. Then with your hands at the 12 and 6 positions see if you can rock the wheel by pushing the top in and the bottom out and reversing. Do that a number of times. If you have play in the wheel you probably can resolve your issue by replacing the hub which isn't too bad of a job if you want to it your self. If the hub isn't very loose then use your hands to slowly turn the wheel and see if you can feel some roughness in the bearing. You may have to pull the wheel and take out the brake pads to really feel anything but if you feel any roughness when turning the hub it is time for a new hub which will probably resolve the ABS issue as well.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (01-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Can I just pull the fuse & disarm ABS ?

Quick Reply: Can I just pull the fuse & disarm ABS ?