C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talked to GM today about C5 recalls.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 PM
C908
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Talked to GM today about C5 recalls.

I spoke with GM today about recalls and service bulletins on C5's. They told me everything is vin specific. Hard to believe but my 99 has only had one recall for the steering lock. I had that recall done in 2002 and they were still showing incomplete. They are going to call the dealer and confirm job was done and update the records. I was checking for service bulletins in regards to ABS. I did a google search and turned up an ABS service bulletin but GM said it doesn't exist. It will be interesting to see what the dealer finds when they check my C1226 code.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree with above. Don't have GM do their fix. Their fix doesn't work well in that it either only works for a short period of time or it works intermittently. The only fix that works permenantly is the Compliance Parts LMC5 column lock magic fixer. it's cheap, easy to install and works. Do it. Richard is the man.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
In 2002 the Column Lock Recall did NOT exist. The NHTSA Recall started in Jan. 2004. GM was doing Column Lock Service on cars that had the column lock symptoms but that WAS NOT the NHTSA recall. Some but not all the steps that were in the NHTSA recall were being done by GM as early as 1999 but NOT to all C5's that were eventually included in the recall. Even cars that GM had serviced were eligible for the NHTSA recall.

If it were my car I would NOT let GM do the official NHTSA recall. JMHO
OP.....

Get notified of new replies

To Talked to GM today about C5 recalls.

Quick Reply: Talked to GM today about C5 recalls.