C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat removal for new covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts
Default seat removal for new covers

I would like to replace my OEM leather standard seat covers with new leather covers. I would also replace the seat and back foam as well.
My question is do the seats have to be removed for this, and if they do, is the power seat adjustment part left in the car or removed along with the entire seat. My fear is that if I give the car over to an upholsterer somehow the power part will get screwed up. Second part is do most order the covers and foam and take them to a local upholstery shop for installation? How about DIY?

TIA
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Seats must be removed. I did mine as many have. You won't mess up the seat adjustments. Go for it!
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

This is an easy do it yourself. You only do one at a time and if you forget what you are doing, the other is there as a guide.

The seats have to come out. Unless you are Houdini and even... It's easy. You first need to pop the plastic covers off the front bolts. Motor the seats all the way forward and take out two bolts on the floor, motor all the way back and take out two bolts on the floor. Tilt the seat to the side and disconnect the electronics from under the seat pad. Protect the steering wheel and rocker panel so you don't scratch them when you pickup each seat and take them out the door. Good to take the targa panel off or lower convertible top. Good luck if you have a Z06 or FRC.

The power stuff stays with the seats. Once you pull the power don't move them or your memory settings will be confused.

Now you can take them apart yourself or bring them to an upholsterer. Or do them yourself. I did them myself. They take an hour or so each - mine was longer because I was adding seat heaters. Also I had them out before to replace the driver's seat foam and fix the rocking syndrome so this wasn't my first rodeo.

Only special tools are hog ring pliers and you can get around that by using zip ties. A powerful hair dryer is your friend for getting the covers on without wrinkles.

Don't forget to add canvas or plastic over the seat bottom wire supports so they don't cut into your new foam. Put some plastic protection on the seat back side supports so they don't cut into your new covers.
bc6152 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Way DIY. Four bolts and an electrical connector (2 on the driver side). Done. Seat covers come off super easy. Hog rings suck.

While you're there you might consider adding heated seats. A real easy mod for under $100. LOVE mine. And I live in FL...
bc6152 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:25 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
Way DIY. Four bolts and an electrical connector (2 on the driver side). Done. Seat covers come off super easy. Hog rings suck.

While you're there you might consider adding heated seats. A real easy mod for under $100. LOVE mine. And I live in FL...

Did you use hog rings or zip ties? Also a recommendation for the seat heaters.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I did mine with Zip ties and I replaced the cushion in mine. Instructions said used wide zip ties not the thin ones.

Just don't cut the rope on the bottom seat cover.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by bc6152
I was close to using zip ties, but was able to get the hog rings back on. But certainly see that zip ties would be a better way to go.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Congrats on maintaining your eligibility for NCRS Survivor, Top Flight, Double-Dog Dare, Zena the Warrior Princess originality award.

You can use zip ties next time.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:46 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by bravo29
I did mine with Zip ties and I replaced the cushion in mine. Instructions said used wide zip ties not the thin ones.

Just don't cut the rope on the bottom seat cover.
Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Congrats on maintaining your eligibility for NCRS Survivor, Top Flight, Double-Dog Dare, Zena the Warrior Princess originality award.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Originally Posted by bc6152
These will work just fine... very EASY install.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod

What's wrong with hog rings? If ya got then use them.

"NCRS Survivor, Top Flight, Double-Dog Dare, Zena the Warrior Princess originality award" has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

What guide did you use to wire in heated seats...is there one posted somewhere. I would like to do wire mine it. I installed the heated seat pads two years ago and still have not wired them in. Where did you locate the heater switches? Thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by El original
What guide did you use to wire in heated seats...is there one posted somewhere. I would like to do wire mine it. I installed the heated seat pads two years ago and still have not wired them in. Where did you locate the heater switches? Thanks
Here is a useful write up... I installed mine in conjunction with a full double din stereo upgrade. For power, I double tapped a 10A fuse in the footwell fusebox. Something like this - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...8aAgwuEALw_wcB - that can be found at any auto parts store.

When I did my double din bezel, I did the ashtray delete. That left me a roughly 2 inch area right under the HVAC to use for mounting switches... The above application used the traction control bezel. I have also seen applications where someone made a small plastic mounting plate to place inside the ashtray to house the switches.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
El original (01-27-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

I've been considering replacing the leather seat covers on my C5. A friend of mine did his a couple of years ago and said it was very easy to do. His results were amazing.

I will consider using sip ties. I have read about adding some sort of pad under the bottom seat cushion to prevent cutting into the cushion by the seat wire frame. I've read this also makes the seats much firmer and for a much longer time than they would be otherwise.

Sounds like a nice early spring Vette dress-up project.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

If you are going to the effort of new seat covers, go with new foam. Can be had for a very reasonable price... $200 to $250.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:06 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
If you are going to the effort of new seat covers, go with new foam. Can be had for a very reasonable price... $200 to $250.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by El original
The first year I just left the switches dangling on the floor. Then I put them in the front seat mounts instead of the plastic covers. Finally I man'd up and ran the wiring all the way to the ash tray and mounted them in a genuine Radio-Shack small electrical box that replaces the pull out ash tray. With the ash tray cover closed it still looks unmolested.
El original (01-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To seat removal for new covers

Quick Reply: seat removal for new covers