C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What breaks when a stock C5 hooks up hard??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:53 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What breaks when a stock C5 hooks up hard??

C5 friends,

I've got a bone stock C5 I'll begin drag racing this summer, and I'd like to improve my ET via launching before I think about power. It's a manual, and I'd prefer to get really solid launches figured out before I move on to anything else. I can imagine someone suggesting I do power first and then worry about traction... While that makes sense, please respectfully hold that advice, heh. It's been specifically my hobby interest to see how quick a manual C5 might go with nothing more than a really strong launch on good tires. I'm now putting my money into that endeavor.

Ideally, I'd like to just slap on some soft compound radials, leave everything else as-is, and start testing at the track to see how high in RPMs I can launch without breaking loose.

Now, my understanding is that this is a really bad idea, because things break. So my questions are:
  • What is the total list of parts that break when launching stock cars in general? (ring & pinion, drive shaft, axles, specific bolts somewhere..??)
  • Of this list, which seem most likely to break on our C5s?? What's the weakest link? Has there been observed pattern of our cars breaking one part very often during launch?
  • What aftermarket mods help protect all of these various parts? I've heard of a rear-end girdle, but that's the only piece of protection equipment I know of.
Thanks guys

Last edited by lancedolan; 02-06-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Axle shafts are likely first. Second could be the aluminum casing. When you put a large sudden load on the drivetrain, the transmission/differential will bend and break. A transmission brace is needed to prevent this from happening.

Wheel hop is the worst thing that can happen, so preventing this is paramount to keeping things together.
The following users liked this post:
lancedolan (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Brackets
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

There is some very good info on this site that is directly related to your goals. https://www.rangeracceleration.com/Launch_Tips.html
The following users liked this post:
lancedolan (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:04 PM
lancedolan
Advanced

fantastic replies so far - thanks a ton

Note: I do have good experience launching at the track. My old bracket racer didn't make enough power to break itself and I never put sticky tires on it. So, it's the mechanical protection that I'm really newbie on.

Last edited by lancedolan; 02-06-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:51 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

After the axle shafts are beefed up the trans output shaft is next to break.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Brackets
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lancedolan
fantastic replies so far - thanks a ton

Note: I do have good experience launching at the track. My old bracket racer didn't make enough power to break itself and I never put sticky tires on it. So, it's the mechanical protection that I'm really newbie on.
Gotcha, just thought it might be helpful because if I recall correctly he raced on a stock rear.

Last edited by Brackets; 02-06-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:33 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by voda1
Broke the output shaft in my cam only z06
Old 02-07-2018, 12:02 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

actually, true drag slicks are easier on parts due to their flexible sidewalls. they absorb a lot of force, way better than drag radials
Old 02-07-2018, 05:08 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by farmington
actually, true drag slicks are easier on parts due to their flexible sidewalls. they absorb a lot of force, way better than drag radials
and wheel hop will crack the diff case before the half shafts or output shaft.

2 Topics to read:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ood-axles.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ak-link-s.html

I would do a ECS or DTE (Hoosier) trans brace, and a Pfadt or DTE trans mount. If you can't find the Pfadt or DTE trans mount, I would do some searches on the Hinson trans mount.

If you don't do the mods C5s are getting a little old, I would re torque the diff to the trans as well as the rear subframe. You don't want the diff walking/wobbling behind the transmission.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/t...que_Values.pdf

Last edited by 93Polo; 02-07-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I broke my trans output shaft first
Old 02-07-2018, 06:48 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

[I]Thought I replaced everything that could break at the track but there's always a weak spot somewhere! Traction and HP can find them!

Last edited by dankhts; 02-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 AM
badazzsi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by voda1
Thats what happened to me. i had just bolt ons and broke the shafts from the diff had that fixed. then did h/c/i and had the torque tube rebuilt with the polyuerathe couplers as well, dte brace, hinson mounts and i put 3.90s in and on my 2nd launch at the drag strip broke the car. thought i broke another shaft from the diff after taking the diff off i broke the trans output shaft into the rear. I was lucky though it didnt tear up the rear.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to put my nickel here,on a stock c5 you are not going to break torque tube,or any tranny or pumpkin shaft unless you get some bad wheel hop,period
i run crazy RWHP with no problems, you need to work on your launch before you go to the track.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 PM
gnharley
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Breakage

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Axle shafts are likely first. Second could be the aluminum casing. When you put a large sudden load on the drivetrain, the transmission/differential will bend and break. A transmission brace is needed to prevent this from happening.

Wheel hop is the worst thing that can happen, so preventing this is paramount to keeping things together.
Any suggestions for preventing wheel hop ?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:04 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

Awesome! This is the wealth of information I hoped for, backed up by empirical stories.

Now that we know what breaks...
What are the remedies?
  • Axle shafts...
    do you just replace them with aftermarket shafts? Do just you eliminate wheel hop and then you're good to go? Are there other parts to support/prevent?
  • Trans output
  • Wheel hop... gnharley are wondering the same thing. Is there a 1-purchase bolt on to stop the hop?
Originally Posted by 93Polo
I would do a ECS or DTE (Hoosier) trans brace, and a Pfadt or DTE trans mount. If you can't find the Pfadt or DTE trans mount, I would do some searches on the Hinson trans mount.
Originally Posted by badazzsi
... then did h/c/i and had the torque tube rebuilt with the polyuerathe couplers as well, dte brace, hinson mounts ...
I think you guys are giving me the exact parts I need, so thank you genuinely for that, but I'm still too unfamiliar to completely understand. I'll try to google around and figure it out myself, but here are my confusions:
  • Transmission Brace and Transmission Mount:
    • These sound like something to support trans output shaft, but Badazz is saying that he broke his output shaft AFTER installing these.
    • Do these prevent wheel hop?
    • Something else?
  • Torque tube rebuilt with the polyuerathe couplers: Are those the black couplers seen here in
    ?
Originally Posted by leo12
I have to put my nickel here,on a stock c5 you are not going to break torque tube,or any tranny or pumpkin shaft unless you get some bad wheel hop,period
i run crazy RWHP with no problems, you need to work on your launch before you go to the track.
I'm taking this advice to heart. I do have moderate experience racing really slow budget bracket racers, but I'll practice bringing power on gradually in some closed parking lots or something. I've literally never experienced wheel hop before in my life so hopefully that holds for my vette as well

Last edited by lancedolan; 02-11-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

Also, if I seem like a newb, it's because I am haha - it's my first experience with a rear-end transmission config like this. What you're all calling a torque tube I would have called a drive shaft. I'll learn and figure it out like I always do, thanks again gentlemen.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 AM
lancedolan
Advanced

you are not going to break torque tube,or any tranny or pumpkin shaft unless you get some bad wheel hop,period
This sound about right to everyone? All you guys who broke parts, were you getting wheel hop before you broke em? If this is the case, I'll realllly focus on the wheel hop and launch skills. My concern right now is a smooth but hard launch and things just snap.

Get notified of new replies

To What breaks when a stock C5 hooks up hard??

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

As vettenuts said,when you start building power above 450 thats when things get a bit hairy, thats when you will experience nasty wheel hop that breaks things,get your self a trans brace and some not so cheap axles preferably from the driveway shop stage 5,and you're good to go.
At one time or another everybody experiences wheel hop the brace will keep things together.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Much like everyone else has stated, there are a few items when you really start to make power that will tear parts up..

A drag radial will start breaking parts if you launch it hard. Most vettes at the strip have issues because they just sidestep the clutch at 4k+... This is no good. You will want to slip it to the point of feeling it pull then jump off the pedal quick. A little slip will go along way. A bias ply tire will be much more forgiving on the drivetrain than a drag radial.

As the others have said as well, look into an ecs or dte/hoosier trans brace as shown in the post above mine (exo skeleton). This will keep the transmission and differential from trying to twist and pull from each other.

If you are going to replace the differential mount, (c5 weak point due to only being one) replace it with the pfadt mount. It is orange in color and looks like a wishbone thats been pulled apart. This mount is not only solid, but puts positive pressure on the cradle on either side of the differential/transmission to prevent side to side shake. This will also play a major part in getting rid of wheel hop. Some will say the trans brace will get rid of wheel hop, but it won't... The trans brace is only helping you save your mainshaft of the trans that drives the diff.

As for axles, C5 axles have always been praised for being very durable and most C6 guys make the switch to them because of this. I would not worry about them. I would worry about the output shafts (in the diff that drive the cv axles) breaking first. But, with a softer tire and the correct launching method, this shouldn't be too big of an issue at stock power.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

What breaks ? Your bank account . I have a friend and all around his Corvette shop are these , I call them milk crates with C-5 rears in them .. I don't think it's if but when the rear will let go without these better parts braces Etc.. I asked him about all the rears and he said people come in and want 500-6-700 HP and he ask what about the rear : Well I'll just see what is going to happen . Then they show up with a milk create with the rear in it all busted up .. Just saying go with the heavy duty parts or make sure you got a milk crate ..

Quick Reply: What breaks when a stock C5 hooks up hard??