C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 C5 Key Fob not registering, car won’t start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 02:56 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 04 C5 Key Fob not registering, car won’t start.

This is the first issue I’ve had so far. Bought about 2 weeks ago, post salvage from a accident. I have a full make up on the report of all work done and there is no indication of this car having a computer issue. 40k miles with no serious work required, pre-accident.

Car is nothing short of brand new. Drives, feels runs and responds like new. When I went out for lunch last night, it was raining, got back and parked my car. Came out to leave and my fob wasn’t able to unlock the car. When I try to start it, dash says, (reduced power) (low fuel) only dash lights work. No interior lights. Brand new battery, tried to jump it anyway.
No help. Change battery in Fob, no help. Already looking into getting the car to Conte’s in Vineland. But if anyone can help me. Please I’m desperate.

Last edited by C5 for life; 02-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Get us some real information to work with!!

Pull and post ALL your codes. Include the H or C or HC that follow each 5 character code. List the codes under the sensor they are associated with. ie 10 - PCM or 28 - TCS or 40 - BCM ..... etc ....
If any sensors show NO COMM next to them post that also.

If you have never pulled codes on your C5 here is how:

https://youtu.be/SviRjIsy9G4

Check the passenger foot well carpet to see if there is any water on the carpet. Report that back also.
It won’t let me clear all the back to odometer. It only shows “Reduced Engine Power”
Old 02-11-2018, 05:58 PM
02torchred
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

No interior lights point to fuse 2 in the interior panel. Pull it and if its good take a flashlight to shine through the other fuses and check them all. Sometimes the underhood light will cause a short blowing this fuse. Disconnect if suspected and fuse 2 blows instantly. Lighted Vanity mirrors can do the same.

Try holding the unlock and lock button down till the car beeps or flashes lights. This is a reset needed after key battery fob replacements. Also check that the metal fingers are not broke inside the key fob making connection with battery. Check their tension as well. Also check circuit board solders and connections.

Reduced engine power can be the tps sensor on throttle body. Check connection.

Check grounds on chasis and engine as well. Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Pressing RESET on the DIC buttons should clear ALL te mesages showing on the DIC.

PRESS & HOLD the reset button for each message. When it clears you will hear a BEEP.

Then enter the DTC reading routiene and report ALL the DTCs.

Bill
Old 02-12-2018, 12:40 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Pressing RESET on the DIC buttons should clear ALL te mesages showing on the DIC.

PRESS & HOLD the reset button for each message. When it clears you will hear a BEEP.

Then enter the DTC reading routiene and report ALL the DTCs.

Bill
So, After almost two days the car now is back to normal. Fob works and car starts. I’m told because the battery was changed, without saving the memory to the computer it triggered the theft mode causing the car to act as it did. And has now reset.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If the BCM enters THEFT MODE, it will clear after 12 minutes and you can attempt to crank/start the engine again.

The FOB can lose SYNC with the BCM if the battery dies. All you need to do to re-Sync is to press and hold "LOCK & UNLOCK" at the same time until the horn BEEPS.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
C5 for life (02-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 04 C5 Key Fob not registering, car won’t start.

Quick Reply: 04 C5 Key Fob not registering, car won’t start.