C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-5, factory fan settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
MajorMike
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-5, factory fan settings

Hello,
Can anybody tell me what the FACTORY fan setting temps are for a 2004/C-5 ??
It seems to me the high comes on at 230.. but I can not find the low and high.. on and off.. factory values..
Help is appreciated..
Thanks.. MajorMike
Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Mine seem to run pretty strong at low temps (180 or so) and seem to never shut off. Is there a sensor somewhere that I should be looking at or is that logic built in to the ECM?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Robrote
Mine seem to run pretty strong at low temps (180 or so) and seem to never shut off. Is there a sensor somewhere that I should be looking at or is that logic built in to the ECM?
A/C on? If you run the A/C and the car is at temp, the fans will pretty much never turn off until you're cruising.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
A/C on? If you run the A/C and the car is at temp, the fans will pretty much never turn off until you're cruising.
No, I get it with the AC off. I know there is an issue somewhere, but I've taken the approach, better on than off. It does need to be addressed this spring.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
PCM controls the turn ON/OFF temps. Not uncommon for those that run colder T'stats (160 for example) to have the turn ON/OFF temps set much lower than Factory. Factory fans were not designed with the intent of running them a lot (ie long term durability) so you might want to address the issue at some time.

Turn ON/OFF temps can be programmed into the PCM. I know EFI Live and HP Tuners tuning software can set them. Not sure if any hand held tuner devices can set them. I know that the Tech II CANNOT set the fan turn ON/OFF temps. Tech II only deals with the BCM for being able to change a few things in it such as RPO's known to the BCM.
As always thanks. I did a flush over the summer last year and cleaned out the radiator and condenser of all the debris that finds it's way there. I also put a new thermostat in it hoping to correct the problem, but it didn't do anything. I have a guy that has tuning equipment, so I'll have to make an appt to get it check out. Thanks again. Rob
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 AM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Could be that your coolant temp sensor is wrong too...
And most the aftermarket hand held tuners WILL allow for different fan settings
They do it in a roundabout way kinda... They ask what TStat temp you are running
and adjust the fans accordingly
You've def got a problem somewhere if your fans are ON at 180* and ALL your
climate controls are OFF.... I'd figure that specific issue out FIRST before you do
any aftermarket tuning
Old 02-16-2018, 05:18 PM
MajorMike
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big thanks to 8vette7 for the factory settings.. turns out my local Chevy Dealer has a Vette tech guy that is pretty good.. He said he had reset the fan speeds on MANY vette's.. happy with results AND the re-learned the TPMS too.. now that works.. Also.. have many more page options on my Heads Up Display.
Tech said it just needed a couple of "Tuners" ? ( something either IN the computer or connected) not sure what those were.. but lots of things work much better now so guess it was needed... $330.00 parts and labor.
MajorMike
Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM
89nascar
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you 8VETTE7 you save me from purchasing a Tech II as i want to lower my cooling fans on/off setting and now i see that a Tech II can not change the fan settings , what is the best way to reset them ?

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
PCM controls the turn ON/OFF temps. Not uncommon for those that run colder T'stats (160 for example) to have the turn ON/OFF temps set much lower than Factory. Factory fans were not designed with the intent of running them a lot (ie long term durability) so you might want to address the issue at some time.

Turn ON/OFF temps can be programmed into the PCM. I know EFI Live and HP Tuners tuning software can set them. Not sure if any hand held tuner devices can set them. I know that the Tech II CANNOT set the fan turn ON/OFF temps. Tech II only deals with the BCM for being able to change a few things in it such as RPO's known to the BCM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Search function....................well, nevermind
Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM
89nascar
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,255 Posts

found the info from 8VETTE7 , thanks again

Quote:

I have heard that there are some hand held programming tools that can reset the turn on/off temps but I do not know the brand names that can do that. The ones I have heard about cost $300 and up.

There are programming software tha run on a PC that can do that as well as change other parameters in the PCM. Two well known ones are HP Tuners and EFI Live. Both are pretty expensive and require more than a little knowledge to use. Many tuners will charge you around $100 to change parameters like the fan turn on temps, CAGS elimination if you have a manual trans, reset column lock fuel shutoff speed, etc. That cost is largely due to the cost of the software license since they are licensed per VIN. Their time to do simple things is small. Before I had my car tuned (had a Maggie installed) I did have the CAGS eliminated, fuel shutoff speed set high and the fan turn on temps changed lower and the tuner spent less than 5 minutes and charged $100. I think it took more time for his laptop to boot up than the actual changes.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorMike
Big thanks to 8vette7 for the factory settings.. turns out my local Chevy Dealer has a Vette tech guy that is pretty good.. He said he had reset the fan speeds on MANY vette's.. happy with results AND the re-learned the TPMS too.. now that works.. Also.. have many more page options on my Heads Up Display.
Tech said it just needed a couple of "Tuners" ? ( something either IN the computer or connected) not sure what those were.. but lots of things work much better now so guess it was needed... $330.00 parts and labor.
MajorMike
I'm curious about these additional HUD page options, I've never heard of such a thing. Can you elaborate?

Get notified of new replies

To C-5, factory fan settings

Quick Reply: C-5, factory fan settings